We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do near Fort Collins?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
What to do near Fort Collins?

I will be in Fort Collins next week with my daughter for a tour of CSU. We have all day Thursdayavailable for sight seeing and then we will have most of the day on Saturday before we head to Denver for our flight.

Any recommendations on what to do with our free time? Thank You.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do near Fort Collins?

I'd drive over to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park on Thursday. It takes around an hour to get there and it's a very pretty drive. Estes Park is the gateway to RMNP. http://www.estesparkcvb.com/

http://www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm

On Saturday on your way to DIA you could stop in Boulder for lunch and stroll the downtown Pearl Street Mall. http://www.boulderdowntown.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,536 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do near Fort Collins?

We were there in September and those are some good ideas. Also a walk around the CSU campus and downtown area of Fort Collins is nice too. Take the local back route to Loveland- S. Taft Hill Rd.- it saves a lot of time rather than going down the interstate.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,180 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do near Fort Collins?

My first suggestion would also be Estes Park and RMNP. Only 20 minutes from CSU is Poudre Canyon and the Poudre River. The river is a national wild and scenic river and Highway 14 through the canyon is a state scenic byway. You can drive as far up the canyon as you would like or have time to do. The scenery starts immediately upon entering the canyon.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do near Fort Collins?

If the weather is as gorgeous as today, you might want to hike up to Horsetooth. That seems to be what everyone is doing today. Or, as was already mentioned drive up the Poudre Canyon. You could even try some snowshoeing if you go up the Canyon or to RMNP and get an early start.

ohio
Level Contributor
155 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do near Fort Collins?

sounds like not much to do right in fort collins?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do near Fort Collins?

Check out the New Belgium Brewery Tour (reservations required)!

newbelgium.com/culture/brewery/visit-us.aspx

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,180 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do near Fort Collins?

Cosmosquad, WRONG! This thread was asking about sightseeing on a limited time schedule. Fort Collins has many interesting things to do. http://www.visitftcollins.com/ Fort Collins is the home to Colorado State University and all those kids have to be entertained. Old Town has lots of shops, bars and restaurants plus live music and theater. Fort Collins has several breweries. You have been referred to New Belgium on two different threads.

Disc golf was created in Fort Collins and there are numerous great courses. Hiking at Horsetooth was already mentioned (rock climbing is popular, too) and there are many open space areas for hiking and mountain biking like Bobcat Ridge, Coyote Ridge and Devil's Backbone. Bald eagles frequent Fossil Creek Reservoir. The Poudre River Trail is a favorite with cyclists. As referenced above, the Poudre Canyon is minutes from downtown and if you were coming in the summer, rafting the Poudre is a thrill.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do near Fort Collins?

Can anyone tell me if the wildfires are directly affecting staying in Ft Collins for a week in August? We are not rafting but would like to ride bikes around the area. Thanks for the info

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do near Fort Collins?

The wildfires are not affecting anyone staying in Ft. Collins. You should be fine riding bikes in there ares. Check the Colorado Tourism Office website for further details: colorado.com/colorado-wildfire-updates-for-t…

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,180 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do near Fort Collins?

The High Park fire never reached Fort Collins. It was completely contained 2 weeks ago and there has been rain several days in the area. The only effects now are in Poudre Canyon. The rain has triggered mudslides and highway 14 has been closed temporarily several times. None of the national forest service recreational areas (picnic areas and campgrounds) in the lower canyon have been opened. I may drive up the canyon today or tomorrow so I can tell people how it looks. The news reports of the Poudre River running black with ash are distressing. Where the river runs through Fort Collins and Windsor, I have not noticed the ash.

You will be fine to go bike riding in Fort Collins.