We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Alamosa to Edwards,CO

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Drive from Alamosa to Edwards,CO

Can anyone tell me what the drive is like from Alamosa to Edwards, Co? I am worried that I might encounter some rough roads at high altitudes until I read 70. Please advise.

5 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
178 reviews
1. Re: Drive from Alamosa to Edwards,CO

Main roads are maintained two lane state highways, generally easy driving. A couple of tips in case you don't already know.... Watch your speed on curves and slow down if road appears wet or in freezing weather. Use your engine's lower gear on downhill sections to brake when you can Do check the road and weather reports just in case you might encounter a winter storm. www.cotrip.org Another snow season driving tip: keep your coat, gloves, boots, water and snacks inside the car rather than in the trunk.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Drive from Alamosa to Edwards,CO

It's a relativity easy drive. The only part that gets more technical is between Leadville and Minturn. It's a beautiful part of the drive , but keep your eyes on the road and watch out for wildlife, especially around dawn and dusk.

Many of the Leadville locals travel that part of the road daily and will pass you at any point that is safe, I find it's easiest to slow down a bit and let them go by rather than try to match their speed.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
178 reviews
3. Re: Drive from Alamosa to Edwards,CO

"at any point that is safe" and sometimes when it seems unsafe! Good tips dogmama. I agree it is best to let people go by or pull off the road for a moment when there are faster cars behind you. Most of the people commuting to and from work will be on the road early in the morning or after 4 o'clock or so.

You'll be driving along part of the Top of the Rockies Scenic Byway and the Collegiate Peaks Scenic Byway.

http://www.topoftherockiesbyway.org/

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2119/

coloradodot.info/travel/…collegiate-peaks

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Drive from Alamosa to Edwards,CO

Those Leadville commuters are a hardy group. I'm a confident mountain driver but they put me to shame.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Drive from Alamosa to Edwards,CO

All of your comments were very helpful. Thank you!

Reply to: Drive from Alamosa to Edwards,CO
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Edwards