We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durango for 5 days with teens

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Durango for 5 days with teens

We will be in Durango in July. Can you suggest some good activities for adventurous teens (ages 12 & 16). Can you recommend a good white water raft company that provides a more adventurous rafting experience. We also like hiking. We have plans to go to Mesa Verde and also the Silverton Train.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,103 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durango for 5 days with teens

How about an ATV ride from San juan Backcountry in Silverton?

The amount of water in the river determines how adventurous rafting is at Durango..ask about water levels when you inquire about booking

I am not sure that I would do the train wth teens..too much down time

Look at the Adventure Day package at Durango Mountain Resort

Edited: 1:20 pm, June 08, 2013
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durango for 5 days with teens

Some of the suggestions in this recent post apply to teens, as well.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33397-i907-k65622…

One way on the train is enough for most folks except avid train buffs and photographers. I like to recommend the adventure combination packages for great use of time and also for breaking up the day with a variety of activities, in the same amount of time as the train ride by itself. Look at the bike/hike & train, the horseback ride/cave/train adventure, etc. durangotrain.com/packages/adventure-packages

Make a day trip to Pagosa Springs or Ouray to take the kids to the hot springs.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durango for 5 days with teens

I agree with Felschurch about the ATV tour with San Juan Backcountry. It was the highlight of my trip last fall.

They would probably enjoy ziplining too.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,103 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Durango for 5 days with teens

…allaboutrivers.com/Colorado/…1 will give river flow

Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Durango for 5 days with teens

Grew up here and these are just suggestions not endorsements:

Full Blast Adventure zipline / paintball near town

Soaring Colorado - nicer, larger, more advanced (and much more expensive) zipline accessible by train.

You can rent mountain bikes at a dozen places and local mapped trails run from yawn to "yikes call Search and Rescue."

X Rock is a great place to rock climb - check out Durango Rafting raft and climb package.

The above suggestion of Durango Mtn Resort can fill a full day. You can also rent mountain bikes there,

Hint: take the chairlift (with bike) uphill and ride downhill. Then take the chairlift back up and ride the Alpine slide down.

I'm told Durango also has great BMX and Skateboard parks.

A fun hike just past ski area is Lime Creek / Spud Lake trail. Easy 2 mile RT (starts at 9360 ft elevation)

If you have time, check out the Vallecito Creek trail which goes into the Weminuche wilderness.

And hanging out around rivers and throwing rocks, building "dams" etc is a great way to cool off. Check out Junction Creek (just outside of town) and/or Lime Creek (near ski area) for some easy access riverside spots.

Stop in at Gardenschwartz Sporting Goods (the 8th and Main location) or Pine Needle Mountaineering (on Main) for suggestions. Ask about a CORSAR card while there also.

Animas River cfs (cubic ft/sec water flow) level is a bit low in July but still should be inner-tune friendly. Afternoon has the higher cfs (sometimes).

Also drive to the top of Molas Pass for great views... then continue into Silverton for lunch. Touristy but good peak at a Colorado mining town. Check out the Old Hundred Mining Tour in Silverton and/ or hike up to the marble Christ of the Mines shrine at the top of the Anvil hill (you can't miss it).

At Mesa Verde check out the Balcony House guided tour and I like the Knife Edge hike also.

Enjoy!

kalamazoo
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Durango for 5 days with teens

There was an option to do train one way and bus the other-- we took it and it was worth it. My kids were 9-14 at the time. After a long day they just chilled on the train ride home. WE did a guided jeep tour with Mild to Wild up in silverton and loved that. OUr kids LOVED Mesa Verde which really surprised me. Be prepared for HOT and intense sun. I can't remember the distance but when we were there it was part of a bigger National Parks trip and we rented a boat and spent a day on Lake Powell--I think it was 3 hours away-- but sounds like you will have plenty to do!

california
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Durango for 5 days with teens

Thank you to everyone for some great suggestions. We love adventure!

8. Re: Durango for 5 days with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 15, 2014