We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport question and car rental

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
80 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Airport question and car rental

Not sure which forum tp put this question on. My husband and I are staying at Dunton Hot Springs August 31, Saturday leaving Tuesday. Want to start looking into airplane tickets.

We will be ending our trip in Colorado Springs, so should we fly into Colorado Springs then get a plane to Durango or Cortez? I saw on some reviews that some flights out of Cortez can be cancelled at the last moment but Cortez is only 1 hour from Dunton. We are going to be picked up by someone from Dunton and transferred there and the back to rent our car. So would also like to know which place would be best to rent a car. After we pick up our car we will be heading to mesa verde. Thanks for any help.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport question and car rental

Have a wonderful time at Dunton! I'd love to stay there some day.

As far as how to arrange your trip..."best" can mean different things to different people. For some people, most economical is best. For others, most convenient, or best use of time, or easiest connections from their home airport, or most scenic...any number of things come into play.

So I guess it might be helpful to know a little more about the rest of your vacation, how much time you have, what's important to you when you say "best," etc.

It is usually most economical to start and end your trip in the same place because of one way surcharges when you rent your car. Sometimes it is just as economical to rent a car for an entire week as it is to get one for a couple of days. If you have the time, you might consider flying in to Denver or Colorado Springs, then driving to Dunton, but if you'd rather fly you have several options.

I'm not very familiar with the Cortez airport, so can't give you any first hand information about it other than it is very small. We had to rent a car there once, but haven't flown in there. I think you'll find better connections coming in to Durango, and it is also a gorgeous drive from Montrose.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
80 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport question and car rental

I forgot to mention before our transportation from the airport is included inour package and I just don,t want to drive there as it is remote and we will be flying from Michigan and it is going to be a long day. I guess I just want to relax and leave the driving to someone else.

I am already resigned to the fact that we might be paying more for the rental as far as picking up and dropping off.

Our package from dunton is from Saturday and we leave there Tuesday for mesa verde, staying in the park 1 night and then visiting mesa verde that day and then driving to durango to spend night and leave there to travel to ouray on San Juan highway 1 day there then to glenwood springs also 1 night so we can get to steamboat to visit friends there over the weekend. I know this is pretty go, go and really not my choice would like to slow down some but it is the only way to get to steamboat by the weekend. We are already locked into Dunton. I was on their waiting list for almost a year to stay there. We are celebrating our 35th anniversary. We are leaving steamboat and slowing down there and finishing out the rest of our trip in Colorado Springs arriving there on Monday the 9th and leaving on Friday the 13th. I already are booked for the pikes peak cog ride.

Should we fly in and out of Denver to durango. We would have to somehow get up to Denver from Colorado Springs and how far is it driving time or should we fly in and out Colorado Springs.

At this point do not know which airport is most economical.

Also, forgot to mention I already have all of our accommodations booked already.

Lots of info,but thanks for any input.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport question and car rental

Well, you'll have a lovely relaxing time at Dunton, and you've paced your trip to Steamboat nicely so that you will have a pretty good amount of sightseeing time along the way between stops, and probably some time in the afternoon/evenings, too.

I might have chosen to go to Grand Lake after Steamboat Springs, then Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park for the rest of the trip, but it's not my trip, for goodness sake! :)

I don't think you can get directly from Colorado Springs to Durango or Cortez so you'd be better off flying in to Denver & might as well get a round trip ticket (unless you can get reasonable connections & price home from Colorado Springs. It is a fairly easy drive from Colorado Springs to the Denver airport, about an hour and a half, depending on your location and traffic...but allow plenty of time to get to the airport, gas up the car, drop it off, get the shuttle from the car lot to the airport, and get through security...you'll find several discussions about this on the Colorado Springs forum)

Which airport is included with your Dunton package? If they'll pick you up from Durango, you'll have more options there (Frontier or United Express from Denver or American from Dallas...personally I'd pick Frontier) than you will trying to get in to Cortez. But if they are including Cortez only, then I guess that's what you should look for! Or would they also pick you up in Telluride? Let's see...Great Lakes Airlines flies to Cortez (and Telluride)from Denver. Will you be departing from home on the 31st and trying to get to Cortez that day? Or will you leave on Friday? If the 31st is your travel day, it looks like if you could get your connection to Denver to arrive by 3-ish, you could get the Great Lakes flight to Cortez at 4:45. Telluride flights are scheduled at 11:40 and 2:40. Weather shouldn't be much of an issue at that time of year.

I've read the same reviews about Great Lakes Airlines to Cortez, but I don't have any facts or experience to give you an informed opinion.

P.S. Congratulations on your anniversary, by the way! You've chosen a wonderful place to celebrate!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport question and car rental

Congrats on the Anniversary and OMG am I jealous of the stay in Dunton! :-)

If you have flexibility on where they will pick you up ~ definitely look into Telluride and Montrose as possibilities.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
80 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport question and car rental

Thanks for the info now we have somewhere to start looking. I wish we had more time to take in the sites maybe another week but that's not possible, I know we are going to have a great time though.

6. Re: Airport question and car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 08, 2014