We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging question--air conditioning needed?

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
lodging question--air conditioning needed?

Hi,

I am looking at several rental sites for 5 night's lodging in mid-July for next summer. I am looking at two different types of lodging and unsure which to choose. The first are in-town houses (not condos or townhouses). The other are more remote stand-alone cabins like guest houses on ranches.

For the most part, neither of these kinds of properties have air conditioning. I am wondering if we will regret not having the cooler air, mainly for sleeping comfortably since we'll be gone the majority of the day sightseeing.

I'm assuming in-town locations are warmer than places out in more remote areas. Is this true? Have the summers been hotter the last few years in Durango (they definitely have in Michigan)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
498 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging question--air conditioning needed?

Most places in Steamboat don't have A/C - it isn't really needed as it cools down at night. If having A/C is a requirement, you are going to need to look at hotels or newer condo options. If you are booking lodging in Durango, you may want to post this on their forum rather than the Steamboat Forum.

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging question--air conditioning needed?

My family and I stayed in Durango last August and were more than comfortable without A/C. We stayed in a townhome at the ski resort and just opened the windows and used fans if it got warm. I found myself getting up in the middle of the night to close windows and turn off fans because it got to cold for us most nights. You should be fine with no A/C in the evenings.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging question--air conditioning needed?

Thanks Corro. Did you stay downtown or out a ways?

Traveller--unless I'm not seeing something correctly, I do think my question is posted in the Durango forum. We would like to avoid condos/townhouses if we can and hotels are definitely out. We're on the road for a little over 3 weeks with a teen daughter. Moody can't quite capture her morning loveliness if she doesn't get to sleep in once in a while and husband and I are very early risers. Our Durango stay is the longest stop of the trip so we want some room to spread out and relax in addition to sightsee.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,025 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging question--air conditioning needed?

Looks like the Durango forum to me! But the elevations of Durango and Steamboat are pretty similar. Overnight lows are usually in the 50s and highs range in the 70s-80s but can get up into the 90s. www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp…

Summers have seemed a bit hotter, but I haven't looked up any statistics to verify that, lol. Things cool down very quickly after sunset many places, somewhat dependent on the elevation. (There are other factors, of course...i.e. afternoon shade, is the home well insulated, etc.) If I were going to stay in town, I think I'd want air conditioning in July, but it might not be needed if you aren't going to be there much in the daytime, esp. if the place has a whole house fan or good ventilation and ceiling or box fans. If the outlying properties are more "in the mountains" then a/c would be less important, IMO.

Just to give you some idea...The elevation where I live is about 900 ft. lower than Durango, and we definitely need a/c during the day--esp. around noon till about 7 or 8 o'clock, but usually don't need it at night. We got along for years in a home with a whole house fan and good attic ventilation, though! The elevation of Ouray is about 7700,(compared to Durango's 6500) and air conditioning there is rarely needed. The base elevation at Durango Mountain Resort is 8700, so if the property is near there, you shouldn't need a/c.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lodging question--air conditioning needed?

Thanks much missp! That is very helpful for understanding elevation and temperatures!

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: lodging question--air conditioning needed?

We stayed at a townhome near the ski resort which is approx 15 miles north of downtown. I can definitely relate to traveling with a moody teenager.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,390 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lodging question--air conditioning needed?

We were in Durango in September and some days in town we did in fact enjoy the AC. When we moved north in the mountains yes it was much cooler and we really didn't need the AC at all.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lodging question--air conditioning needed?

Thanks everyone--very helpful!

A couple of the places I am looking at are south of Durango and if I'm seeing the maps correctly, they are definitely at lower elevations.

I sure am learning a lot about terrain--a new experience for a flatlander like me!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,025 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lodging question--air conditioning needed?

I'd try to find a place either in town if that is your preference, or in the mountains. Even if it means a townhome or condo instead of a house.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lodging question--air conditioning needed?

Happily I found a place at higher elevation (7300) that is nice and remote, 2 bedrooms, in our budget (it is $125 per night and we were willing to go as high as $175 if we had to), has good reviews and a very quick responding owner.

Yeah! I'll make sure to comment on it after the trip in case anyone else is looking for something similar.

So many other details to work out on this trip, but at least I have lodging set now for everything except our last night in Vegas before we fly home!

Edited: 11:44 pm, January 11, 2013