We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Hiking Suggestions

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
496 posts
27 reviews
Hiking Suggestions

I am planning a trip to Durango in July 2013. I will be in Durango for 8 days. What are some hiking suggestions? I did Rocky Mountain National Park this summer and did almost all of the 4-5 mile hikes. I don't want to do hikes with huge altitude gains. I would say that "moderate" are the hikes that I like. In RMNP I enjoyed the lake and falls hikes. Also, I enjoy simple hikes along roaring rivers. Can all of you come up with suggestions?

Also are there places near Durango that are good for animal sightings?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Hiking Suggestions

I have seen or heard about more animal sighting IN Durango than outside. We have seen deer on third and sixth ave and there was a bear on third ave last week We saw no animals except a marmotte on our jeep tour out of Silverton

We did see a black bear north of Ridgway on the side of the

road

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
496 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Hiking Suggestions

Thought that I would run this by again.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,233 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: Hiking Suggestions

I have hiked all the trails in Mesa Verde Nat Park, interesting and fun and yes, easy to moderate. www.nps.gov/meve

Also this link has a few hikes that are moderate, I can't remember which ones we did years ago!, lol!

espydurango.com/durango-hiking-trails.html

North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Hiking Suggestions

We did the Colorado Trail at Junction Creek. We went to the bridge on a weekend afternoon. The trail was busy but a little crowded - especially bike riders. If you do the trail, try for a time that there will be fewer people and mainly foot traffic. It's a lovely setting.

Can't give any more advice about the Durango area - did some hiking between Pagosa Springs and Durango and east of Pagosa Springs along 160. If you're planning any trips out that way, I can give more specifics.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Hiking Suggestions

I am not a destination expert for this area; however, when we taught on the reservation for 10 years we did numerous day hikes & backpacking trips in the Durango-Silverton area.

It is indeed a hiker's dream!

I suggest you get a hiking guide to the area so you can pick hikes that match your abilities.

We have backpacked quite a number of sections of the Colorado trail in the area & have found those, as well as the Continental divide trail, breathtaking.

Some of my favorite hikes have been Highland Mary lakes; Engineer peak; Ice lakes; Colo trail at Molas pass; Spud lake; Crater lake. I can't even remember all of them!

…usda.gov/activity/…

We enjoyed taking the flag stop narrow gauge back to Durango (pre-ticketed) after backpacking in to Elk Park. I'm not sure how or if one can coordinate the train to get dropped to hike some in Elk park & then catch the return train, but the area is beautiful.

Have fun planning! Perhaps a DE on here can recommend the best hiking guide. My Durango hiking/backpacking friends have quite a number of guide books.

6. Re: Hiking Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, December 15, 2013