We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Autumn colors and cooler temperatures?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Autumn colors and cooler temperatures?

I'm thinking of taking a weekend trip to Durango, but am really looking for an "autumn experience." (I live in southern Arizona, and it's still incredibly hot here. I need a season change.)

Have the leaves started changing in Durango yet? If not, how much longer until you expect that will happen? It looks like it's still fairly warm in Durango with highs in the upper 70s, and I'm wondering when the town generally gets that real autumn feel. Thanks!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Autumn colors and cooler temperatures?

We were in Durango two weekends ago and it was definitely starting to feel like fall! There was snow almost all the way between Ouray and Durango Mountain Resort, although it had melted by the next day when we drove back north, so if Durango isn't cool enough for you, head for Silverton! The aspen around Silverton were already changing at that time.

That's the nice thing about fall in Colorado--at least most of the time!!--mornings and evenings have that chilly crisp nip in the air and midday is often warm enough for tee shirts.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Autumn colors and cooler temperatures?

Just 2 hours north of Durango near Ouray things are starting to come along. Crisp nights and warm days are the current trend. These pictures are from the Million Dollar Highway and Ophir Pass (4WD road that connects Silverton and Telluride).

For some pictures...

www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Durango aspens tend to be a bit later than Ouray. near Silverton, they are a little earlier than Ouray. I think next weekend you should find some good color for sure and the weekend after that (around Oct 8) there will still be plenty if the weather holds and there isn't a ton of wind... Wind will be the enemy right now.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Autumn colors and cooler temperatures?

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll stick it out for a few more weeks, and wait for fall to really set in. I had forgotten how windy it can get up there, though, so I guess I don't want to wait too long and have all of those beautiful leaves blow away!

Beautiful pictures, kavery. Thanks for sharing. :)

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Autumn colors and cooler temperatures?

Thanks for the photos, kavery. Love the composition and crisp colors.

Edited: 7:24 pm, September 26, 2011
5. Re: Autumn colors and cooler temperatures?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 24, 2012