We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

California
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

Trying to decide between staying at the Best Western Rio Grande which is right in downtown Durango, and the Comfort Inn on S Camino del Rio. The Comfort Inn seems to have better reviews and is cheaper, though not bu a significant amount. . But the Best Western Location is right in downtown. We will be there on Labor day weekend so I expect it may be crowded in the historic district. We will be taking the train to Silverton. Is it really a problem to drive to see downtown and the train in terms of parking and crowds, making the location of the Best Western worth the extra cost and worse reviews?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

I see that you haven't had any replies yet, so will reply and "bump" your question. I haven't stayed at either one so can't give you a recommendation based on that. We've never really had too much problem with traffic or parking but haven't been there Labor Day weekend, though...but the City has some permit lots that are okay to park on weekends and holidays.

http://www.downtowndurango.org/parking/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,328 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

We will be in Ouray on Sept 3 and Durango starting Sept 4. We are staying at the Residence Inn and riding the train also. The Residence Inn seems a bit expensive but gets great reviews.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

Comfort Inn is a nice place. But it's right on the highway, in a business park, approximately 3 miles from downtown. You'll have to drive everywhere.

BWRG is in the heart of downtown, and it's a nice place, too. A nice perk...they give you two free cocktails per night that you stay.

Parking and driving downtown is a big mess, especially labor day weekend, since there's a motorcycle rally in town.

I would pick the BWRG, park your car, and then you won't have to drive it again until you leave.

Omaha
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

I've never been to Durango but will be traveling there the 1st week in October.I wasn't sure where to stay and we will be riding the train to Silverton one day. Another day we will spend downtown. I selected the Comfort Inn as it is close to the train station I understand and I don't want to drive in the morning to catch a train when I can walk. Also we asked for a room in the back to avoid any noise at the hotel. The days we want to go downtown I have heard that the parking is not really an issue. Labor Day may be an exception though. Anyway I hope this helps and enjoy your time in Durango and the train to Silverton.

California
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

Thanks, we'll stick with the Best Western for convenience. TerryOhama, I think the Comfort Inn isn't that close to downtown and the train, might want to double check that it that's what you are wanting.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

TerryOmaha, I agree, the Comfort Inn isn't close to train station. You will be driving to get to downtown unless you want to walk a bit. I am trying to think of a nice way to get there too. It is a really busy street!

Edited: 10:21 pm, August 11, 2011
Kansas
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

We will also be in Durango Labor Day weekend, riding the train on Monday. We chose the General Palmer Hotel to be centrally located and close to the train station.

Omaha
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

You are right as the Comfort Inn is out of town. My mistake as I had read on a previous post sometime back that it was within walking distance of the train. Thanks everyone for pointing that out. We may keep our reservations there as I understand that the trip downtown is not very long and the parking shouldn't be a problem when we are there in October.

Thanks again!

Terry

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

If you're staying at Comfort Inn, you can walk to downtown. Cross the highway at the crosswalk in front of Office Depot. Then you can get on the river trail and walk north to downtown. Get off the river trail between the Albertson's grocery store and the Double Tree hotel. It's probably about a 30 minute walk.

10. Re: Best Western vs Comfort Inn, recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, October 10, 2012