We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Durango area in August 2011

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Durango area in August 2011

First time to NM/CO area....Family of 4--(54, 50 & 18 & 20)

Driving from Houston to Albuquerque/Sante Fe (abt 2-3 days) area then to Durango area or closeby. Any suggestions on "must see/do", places to eat, places to stay (need 3 beds, maybe hotel suite/condo). Interested in taking train but not sure what else. Only staying in area abt 2-3 days? Any info/help would be wonderful!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Durango area in August 2011

Mesa Verde National Park is the other MUST for the Durango area. Also, the drive to Silverton (and Animas Forks ghost town) and Ouray over Molas, Coal Bank and Red Mountain passes and through the Uncompahgre Gorge. Telluride is another must on many visitor lists. A jeep tour up into the high mountains on old mining roads is another. And drive as much of the San Juan Skyway Scenic Byway as you have time for. The alpine slide is great fun at Durango Mountain Resort, and there are beautiful hikes and mountain biking trails.

If you are taking the train, I would highly recommend the train/jeep tour combo. Or the train/ATV tour combo. Or even the train/trail ride combo. Any of these would help you make the most of your time. I don't see the 2011 summer packages listed yet but they should be soon. durangotrain.com/packages/adventure-packages

http://www.mild2wildrafting.com/jeeptrain.htm

I'm sure others will respond with dining and lodgin suggestions. We usually camp so I'm not too well informed on that.

Edited: 12:54 pm, February 16, 2011
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Durango area in August 2011

For evening entertainment, look at the Durango Melodrama at the historic Henry Strater Theater:

http://www.durangomelodrama.com/

(There are a few reviews on the Things to Do page under Diamond Circle Melodrama...new name, same location)

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Durango area in August 2011

I agree with previous poster comments...rafting on the Animas River is fun, the is a great river walk/bike trail along the Animas.

Many good restaurants to suit a veriety of palates. My favorites: Oscar's for breakfast, Guido's, Chez Gran Mere, Gazpacho, Carver's and Steamworks.

4. Re: First time to Durango area in August 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, October 11, 2012