We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
87 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

My husband and I will be going to southwest Colorado in mid-September. We are trying to decide between a Purgatory Village Condominiums and Wyndham Durango. Wyndham is downtown, and PV is about half an hour north of there, so mainly my question is location. We want to be central to the most attractions possible.

We plan to hike and visit the national parks/monuments (including Aztec Ruins in New Mexico) while in the area, and drive the San Juan Skyway loop one day. We do not plan on riding the train.

We own a timeshare and these are our choices. So while i'm sure there are nice B&B or other favorite hotels of yours in the area, please do not suggest them. I'm just trying to figure out which of the two I mentioned we should choose. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Wyndham Durango
Wyndham Durango
115 Reviews
Durango, CO
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

I would choose the Wyndham. Staying at Purgatory would add that half hour to your trips to Mesa Verde and Aztec.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
87 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

Yeah. I was wondering if the scenery surrounding one would be better than the other (which is better to wake up to, walk to your car, end your day at, etc). Or if there would be more trails near one. It seems that Durango is more central to stuff, but I wonder if the distance makes that much of a difference for scenery and hiking by Purgatory.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

I think you'll find Wyndham to be more convenient, unless you prefer to be at a more isolated resort location. Wyndham Durango is a hotel suite with a combined living room kitchenette.

Mentioned in this post
Wyndham Durango
Wyndham Durango
115 Reviews
Durango, CO
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

I also think there is great hiking near Durango, other than north toward Purgatory. Ar Wyndham, you'll be within walking distance to "downtown" and several restaurants and a short drive (or longer walk) to many others.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

The scenery will be better (more "in the mountains" feel) at Purgatory Village if you can get a unit with good mountain views. I think the condos have balconies, so that would be nice to have your morning coffee or evening beverage. Your original post stated you wanted to be as central as possible, and that would be in town. But PV isn't far and it's a pretty drive, and would be convenient for hiking and as a starting point for your Skyway drive.

I haven't stayed at either place, so can't advise on the quality of either one. I'm sure you've read the reviews here on TA stating that both are small but adequate, and to request an "A" condo at PV to get one which is considered nicer, maybe more recently renovated.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
87 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

Thanks everyone. I was starting to leans towards PV, for the mountainous scenery and the fact that we'd have some credit leftover, allowing us to take an extra trip in the spring. But by the time our subscriptions dues were processed, PV was booked and the week we wanted at Wyndham (we are staying there, but checking in a day later than previously planned). I think I'll like staying next to a train, and when it's late and we're hungry and forgot to plan for dinner, I'll probably like staying downtown better.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

By default....I think you made a good lodging decision! The downtown Durango location will be so convenient. Although you'll be in the valley with mountain scenery in the distance...you aren't far from being "in" the mountains. The Durango Tourist is very helpful for information to aid in planning. There are great hiking, rafting, mountain drives in the area. Enjoy!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
87 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

What is The Durango Tourist? I think I missed something here. Still rather new to the site if that's an internal reference. I tried googling but nothing specific came up.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

Sorry....my fingers got ahead of my thought process.....I should have said...the Durango Tourist Office...it also has a reliable free internet collection.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
87 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purgatory Village vs Wyndham

Oooohhhhh as in durango.com, the official Durango Tourism Office? Thanks!