We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place for beginner family to W.W. raft in S> W Colroado

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
denver
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best place for beginner family to W.W. raft in S> W Colroado

Hi so far my 10 year old and dh and I have only rafted level 3 at Idahoe Springs Co...we are soon travelling thru S.W area of Colorado (Glenwood springs, down thru West Elk loop, thru Delta, Montrose, Ouray and maybe Durango. What town offers very good rafting for beginners. ? thnks a lot

t.a.v@comcast.net

Seattle-Durango
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best place for beginner family to W.W. raft in S> W Colroado

The Animas River that runs through Durango is a good river for beginners; it varies from Class II to III. If you are feeling a little more adventurous there is the Piedra River to the East of Durango. I also heard that the Dolores River is having some great rafting this summer as well.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place for beginner family to W.W. raft in S> W Colroado

When are you traveling?

Menlo Park, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place for beginner family to W.W. raft in S> W Colroado

My friend that used to live in Durango recommended Flexible Flyers Rafting for a rafting tour of the “Historic Durango and ALL the rapids”, 970-247-4628, www.flexibleflyersrafting.com . Their pick up location is literally across the river from the Holiday Inn. The outfit is run by Robin and Stephen, and they are a laid back couple; to wit, we enjoyed listening to Bob Marley on bus ride to the put in point. Stephan told us that most of their clientele are locals, and that they were the only rafting company that did not have a spill when running rapids in the early 2008 season spring runoff. The rapids are claimed to be class III, but in late July, 2008 (last week) they were very mild; nothing like the Snake River we did the year before in Jackson Hole, WY. During the run Stephen told us "I don't like telling people what to do, that's why I why I prefer to row, and not to have clients paddle." I noticed afterward that several of the other companies would have a rower in the back, like Stephan, who has total command of the raft, but issued their clients paddles – I am not sure why. My 10-year old daughter was relieved at not having to hold a paddle, so that she could hold on.

After okay lunch at the Diamond Belle Saloon (server dressed in saloon attire), we rented cruiser bikes from Monty's Town Bike Rental on 13th Street (970 426 2807) and rode as a family the Animas River trail for about an hour. My wife and I really enjoyed this bike ride. We stopped several times to watch the rafts and kayaks go by.

4. Re: best place for beginner family to W.W. raft in S> W Colroado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 05, 2009