We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Info needed From Walsenburg CO to Durango

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheeseland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving Info needed From Walsenburg CO to Durango

We are driving to Durango from Wisconsin in 10 days from now. We have a front wheel drive Honda Odyssey.

Do you have any road info? I know I'll encounter 2 mountain passes: Lavita and Wolf Creek. I don't own and have never used tire chains, so we're praying for good weather and a safe trip.

Any travel advice on getting off I76 and taking Hwy 71 from Brush? to Limon and Hwy 24 to Walsenburg? Its 2 lane, but it allows me to skip Denver.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Info needed From Walsenburg CO to Durango

Depending on the weather, which is hard to predict 10 days ahead, chains may be required for the passes, but that doesn't mean run out and buy some. Living in Wisconsin you're used to your car and driving on snow so you should be okay generally.

Make sure to have proper supplies in case you get stuck: cell phone, water, food, blankets, toiletries, etc. Just plan on spending a few nights in the car with no heat. Hopefully you won't have to, but it's better to be safe.

You can checkout the Colorado Dept. of Transportation at: http://www.dot.state.co.us/

Read the road/weather conditions and travel alerts and road closures, especially just before your trip.

As for 71 Brush->Limon, I assume you're doing it to avoid Denver? You won't see much out there and it might be slower. 24 Limon->Co Springs will likely be the same or slightly better road conditions. I drove 24 10 years ago and it was a lot of slowing down to go through small towns.I haven't driven 71.

I doubt you save any time from staying on the interstates, and if it's snowing, the conditions on the interstates might be better. On the interstates though you'll have to go over Monument pass which can get bad in snow, but chains are rarely required since it's at ~7100 feet.

I think you'll be fine overall since your experience of being in Wisconsin.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Info needed From Walsenburg CO to Durango

Here is the link to the CoDOT road conditions cotrip.org/rWeather/All_Regions_021108_07140… Be sure to check it beforehand. The pass at Wolf Creek was closed several days last week but you never know.

My only other advice is be prepared for a long trek if you go west from Walsenburg. We've driven just to South Fork that way several times and it's the worst part of the trip because it's so long, at least 3 hours just to that point so you've got even quite a bit further. Good luck.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,794 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Info needed From Walsenburg CO to Durango

I would stick to the Interstates. You can also take a toll road around Denver, costs some but usually no one on the road.

From Walsenburg to Durango.... could be clear, could be snowy. Check the roads prior to leaving Walsenburg.

I have driven this route many, many times in winter and most of the time we have had few problems. I have always disliked going down the western part of Wolf Creek. Seems steeper and more winding than the eastern part.

I rarely have used chains in my entire driving life in Colorado. Only one time to get up a steep driveway. You are from Wisconsin, plenty of snow, just take it slow and you will be ok!

4. Re: Driving Info needed From Walsenburg CO to Durango

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, September 17, 2009