We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Polar Express" in December plus accomodations!!!

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
"Polar Express" in December plus accomodations!!!

My friends, our kids, and myself are going to ride the "Polar Express" mid December. I am trying to find good accomodations. There are many mixed reviews on all of the hotels in Durango. I am leaning toward the Doubletree, but did not want to pay that much. Although if I have to I will. Looking for something kid friendly. I am very particular about the hotels I choose being in the industry myself. Any help would be greatly apprieciated!!! If anyone has gone on the "Polar Express" and has any comments I would love to hear them!!! Thank you so much in advance for all your help...

Southwest
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Polar Express" in December plus accomodations!!!

The Doubletree is a great choice considering the location....sitting due west of the RR Station....In fact, walk across US 550 or the San Juan Skyway, down W. College Drive, across the traintracks, a turn on Main Street and your there at the Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge.

The Polar Express ride was interesting....particularly for the children dressed in their pajamas, set to get on the train. When Durango sees the childred dressed in their pajamas, everyone know they're headed to the Train Station.

The passenger trains are set with narrow carts where there are two to a seat. The lighting will be a bit dimmed and they'll be 'attendees' in each cart with you. I believe the DS RR staff have just as much fun as those participating. You'll read along with the book in each cab as the attendees' will be reading the book. The train ride will be a bit bumpy (it's a train).....consider seating near the Steam Engine....the crowd will start forming outside haphazardly, you may want to consider lining up on the north end of the station (just outside the main gift store). You'll get served hot chocolate, a nougat as I recall. Some families along the track from their backyards will be waving. Some homes will be lite with Christmas lights. The ride will continue until you reach the 'North Pole'. You don't leave no further than the edge of Durango, i.e. Northwest Durango. Then you sit and wait for the return trip back to the station.

The windows will be able to slide up and down for a better view of the North Pole and Santa coming into each cart.

The excitement to board the train particularly for the children is contagious! You'll have fun....

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Polar Express" in December plus accomodations!!!

Doubletree is best, but also the Holiday Inn next door and Best Western Rio Grande are adequate and close to downtown and train. the reinvigerated Palmer and Strater Hotels are more fun and Western. I and family have stayed at all. Also the Quality Inn is cheaper and good and is a mile away. The Polar Express is a lifetime memory for children!

3. Re: "Polar Express" in December plus accomodations!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 12, 2009