We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

Which Durango hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
houston
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

Hi,

I am beginning to plan a trip for next june...my husband and i and 3 kids. We really enjoy staying in cabins as they allow the kids to run around a bit more. Especially great if a river or pool is close by. As i plan my trip, does anyone have any reccomendations of this type of lodging rather than the hotels/motels in town? We will be hitting the towns of durango , silverton, ouray, gunnison, telluride. Also plan to see mesa verde (how is the lodge there?) and maybe moab to see the national parks.

thanks for any help!!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

I don't know of any cabins off the top of my head, but I will do some pondering on this. We always stay at the Doubletree in Durango, but I do remember seeing some cabin type lodging.

Mesa Verde is an awesome place. The FarView Lodge inside the park is a very sparse place, but there is a nice restaurant. When we were there, no tv, phones or wireless internet, no pool, no fancy amenities etc. Just plan, in a National Park lodging, with an incredible view. Deer roam through the area and you will see more stars than you can imagine!! It is worth staying at, just don't expect a high end hotel/motel.

Have fun planning.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

No pool or river but have a look at the condominiums at the Silverpick Lodge. Room to run around and very reasonably priced half way (roughly) between Durango and Ouray.

http://www.silverpicklodge.com/

houston
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

thank you both for your replies..i will definitley stay in the nat. park lodge at mesa verde as we are np lovers and are used to basic lodges. Thanks for the tip on the condos..will look into them as well as consider just staying at the doubltree. One more question...

if we get a riverview room on first floor at doubletree..will the kids be able to play down near the water , maybe even wade in a bit...the cold won't bother them....or is the water running too rapidly for that to be safe? if they can play down by the river as we sit on our patio and watch............well, that would work just fine!

thanks so much for the help!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

In June I would be afraid that the water in the Animas will be running a bit too high to let the kids play by themselves. I guess it just depends on how old they are and if they are good swimmers. We were there in late July, and it was fine by the edge of the river, but we did bring chairs down to be close.

Here's a place you may want to check out. Lightner Creek Campground, they have cabins with kitchens. We used to live nearby there and the area is about 10 minutes to Durango, but quiet and there are trails nearby. www.camplightnercreek.com

Also visit www.durango.org, they have listings of different lodgings that may work for you. Many of the campground/rv parks have cabins with kitchens. Another place you may want to look at is Vallecito Reservoir, about 1/2 hour outside of Durango. Lots of cabins etc there.

Have fun planning and ask more if you need to!

houston
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

CasaAzul,

thanks for the very helpful info . I checked out the lightner creek campground and found it very interesting. The picture of the cabin looks great but now i am torn as to whether i'd rather be in town. It is good to have choices. Thanks so much for the hlep.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

Lightner Creek is not that far from town maybe 3-4 miles. You could drive there quickly.

The Doubletree is also very nice. We loved the riverside room. We had a 2nd or 3rd floor room and enjoyed the balcony. We had foldable chairs with us and took them down by the river while our son played. There is a grassy area between the hotel and the river. Plus there is a bike/walking path you can take to a park!

Either way, you have a great trip!!

houston
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

CasaAzul!

that last comment sealed the deal for me! if there is a park close and a river...we are good. will book the doubletree.

thank you!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

The park that I am thinking of is Santa Rita Park, it may be about 1/2 mile or more walk. In my mind I thought it was closer.

I have a strong feeling, you are staying at the Doubletree!!! Have a great time.

We had a great Italian meal at Mama's Boy. Good Mexican food is at Gazpacho's. There are a number of brew pubs and sandwich/burger type places. We actually enjoyed our meals at the Doubletree the most. Plus the pool was great fun!!

At Mesa Verde, make sure you stop at Farview Ruin. Get out and walk around, the kids will love it and most of it is totally flat. You can do this later in the day. There are a number of short trails to different ruins. To me, this is the most wonderful place at MV.

Also, take a picnic lunch with you into the park. When you get to the Spruce Tree house area, when you first drive in the one way (before you get to the ruin and the museum) you will see a picnic ground on the right. Go there for a wonderful picnic lunch. When I was a kid this was the campground for the park, and I camped there when I was little.

Have fun!

Oklahoma
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

We just returned from the southwest area with our 3 kids. We always choose Ridgway, CO because of its central location and its safe quaint community. A new 1000 Sq. ft. suite just opened up above The Cow Creek Antique store in Ridgway. The owner was so friendly and helpful and the place was brand new with washer, dryer, and complete kitchen. There are two decks with amazing views of the San Juan Mountains. Good Luck!

Oklahoma
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cabins in durango/silverton/ouray/telluride area?

The web address of the Cow Creek Suite is http://www.cowcreek.qwestoffice.net/