We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durango vs Colorado Springs

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Durango vs Colorado Springs

We are vacationing in Colordo in June - family of 4. Trying to decide between Durango or Colorado Springs? Flying from Houston with 2 teenagers (13&16). Where is good place to stay in Durango? Would you pick Durango over CS? Is there more to do in Durango area?

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durango vs Colorado Springs

Personally, I would pick Durango over Colorado Springs. Durango is more tourist focused and Colorado Springs, aside from it's few tourist attractions, feels a lot like a mid-sized city.

However, the final choice really depends on what types of activities you enjoy.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
475 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durango vs Colorado Springs

not been to Colorado Springs yet - but we have been to Durango and LOVED it - we (my husband, self, 2 teenage girls and a 7 yr old) went there last summer. There is SOOO much to do there and the scenary is unbelieavably beautiful. You can go white water rafting, jeep 4x4 tours, ride the train from Silverton to Durango (only go one way - round trip would be too long - one way is enough), as well as Mesa Verda is close by. You can drive up to Silverton and Ouray on the Milion Dollar Hwy. We had always done beach trips each summer but last summer opted for Colorado and was VERY glad we had - it has become our favorite vacation memory (and we've even taken cruise to the Bahamas as a family and loved this more). Our favorite part of hte trip was a 4x4 jeep tour out of Silverton that took us to Amimas Forks, an old mining ghost town. We stayed at Durango Mountain resort (look on VRBO.com) and it was really nice. they have a ton of stuff to do there as well - alpine slide, etc. You'll enjoy Durango.

Sorry - i couldn't give more info in comparison to Colorado Springs.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durango vs Colorado Springs

Hi

After visiting the Durango attractions Ajpesina mentioned more than once there's no reason for us to go back to Durango again. But for a first leisurely visit with 2 kids I also would vote for Durango. We also already stayed 2 times in CS and will return when in the area.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Durango vs Colorado Springs

I have not been to Durango, but I've made it to Ouray and Silverton, the two towns just north of Durango. Durango is really the superior of the two for natural beauty. Colorado Springs has Pikes Peak, which is neat, and Garden of the Gods, which is awesome! Having said that, I would agree with the rest and pick Durango. The Million Dollar Highway, Telluride, Mesa Verde, Yankee Boy Basin, and many more places are all within close proximity. If you go to Colorado Springs, you would be going to Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods, and although there are more places to visit around CO Springs, those are the two places most worthy of experiencing. Still, Durango has more to offer. It's Durango for me, too.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
765 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Durango vs Colorado Springs

We did CS/Denver/Estes Park last summer, and we liked Colorado so much, we decided to go back this summer to stay in the Durango area. As far as places to stay, we have found a nice condo rental from vrbo.com #74262. I don't know if any of the open dates match when you are going. There are other condos from the same complex, called The Boulevard, on vrbo as well. The lady who owns it is a local realtor in Durango and has already sent us a lot of information about the area and she has been a pleasure to deal with so far. There is an extensive comment list from happy customers also. It seems perfect for a family of 4, I suppose the extra room would suit teenagers as well.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,093 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Durango vs Colorado Springs

I'd go to Durango. There is rafting, mountain biking, hiking, fishing, the train to Silverton, Mesa Verde and shopping. We stay at the Doubletree when we go, right near downtown, but nice hotel. If you stay there, ask for a river view room!

Durango is more mountain terrain and Colorado Springs is more urban. Of the 2, I would pick Durango for a family trip.

Have fun!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Durango vs Colorado Springs

Another for Durango. cannot imagine going to Colorado Springs for vacation.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Durango vs Colorado Springs

Another vote for Durango! Doubletree is a nice place to stay, especially a riverfront room, but don't bother with their dining room; we had poor food and poor service. There are better food options in town.

I wonder if you and your teens would like the nightly "old time melodrama" at the "saloon" next to the Strater Hotel (or is that not a "cool" thing for teenagers?).

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Durango vs Colorado Springs

Two years ago my family of 4, kids 13 and 9, spent a week in Colorado. We went to Durango, Colorado Springs and Estes Park. We loved it all but we are going back this summer to spend a week in Durango. It is really great there. Your family will have lots to do. If you can be sure to drive to Ouray. If you take the train it stops in Silverton which isn't much. The drvie from Ouray to Silverton is the best part of the drive. In Ouray there is a decent mine as well as a great restaurant, The Outlaw. Be sure to drive back to Durango before dark unless you are okay with very scary roads. The southbound drive is easier for the passanger.

While in Durango we are staying at the Boulevard condos like others have mentioned.

If you chose Colorado Springs, we stayed at the Bradford Homesuites. At the time, 2 years ago, they were new and clean. The pool was nice too.

While in Colorado Springs we had a nice dinner at the Flying W Ranch. In addition to the things mentioned by others the Olympiac Training Center is pretty cool. There are always some athletes training there. Be sure to go to the chapel at the Air Force Museum too.

10. Re: Durango vs Colorado Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 01, 2009