We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

Sacramento
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

We're flying into DEN to drive to Rapid City SD, stopping destinations en route. Max time we'll spend in Denver might be last evening before leaving a week later. DEN Airport fees are crazy. Looked at Enterprise at 6900 Tower Rd. Their website said any customer who has flown into Denver airport within 24 hrs of rental is subject to all airport fees. Is this just something they have to print or do they have a way of checking?

Also we saw some posts that said some hotels with airport shuttles don't require you to stay at hotel to use shuttle. Can anyone verify this? We won't be staying at a Denver hotel upon arrival but we will the night before we leave. We'd like to take a hotel shuttle to a hotel near a car rental, get picked up and start our drive north. At the end of our trip, turn in rental car, stay at hotel that provides airport shuttle, and fly out the next morning.

All the posts we saw about off-airport rentals were several years old.

Advice/information would be welcome.

24 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

We were in Denver in Feb and stayed at DoubleTree Stapleton for a night before renting a car and heading to Summit County for skiing (it was $200 cheaper to pick up the rental the day we departed for the mountains, vs. the evening before when we landed in DEN - DoubleTree did have a free shuttle to/from airport). I later on noticed an Avis car rental in the lobby of this hotel. So I checked recently to see what rental rates were at this hotel vs. at airport. Rates were SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper at the hotel.

So next year when we plan our ski trip, we'll plan to take the free shuttle to DoubleTree (whether or not we stay that night is still TBD), and will rent from the Avis counter in the lobby and return the rental there as well. Hope this helps a bit.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

Not necessary to stay at DT to use shuttle and you can return the car to the airport no extra fee.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

Thanks for both replies.

United States
Level Contributor
451 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

I'm trying this out for the first time tomorrow. I will post back my experience. We are also dropping the car off at the airport upon our return. $170 vs $400 - just made sense and appears easy enough!

United States
Level Contributor
451 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

Notes from our car rental today......

Baggage claim has two sides. One side is color coded in blue with odd numbers and the second side is red with even numbers. The pick up for the shuttle is on the red side at the 508 door. Once you walk out of the 508 door, the shuttle is located two lanes over near the sign for hotel shuttles. It leaves on the :15 and :45 of the hour. We got there at 8:38 am and it left promptly at 8:45 am. We were dropped off at the hotel with no questions asked.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

Traveler_at-Heart_09:

What rental car company/location did you use, and did you pick it up at an off-airport location and return it to the airport? And you paid the off-airport rate? What hotel shuttle did you use?

Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
451 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

Lol that would have been helpful to include yesterday :) sorry think the long day of travel had an affect on me. We rented at the Avis that is located in the Doubletree off of Quebec (3203 Quebec). The location that I described in my previous message is for the Doubletree shuttle. We are also retuning it to the Denver Airport and didn't pay any extra fees for returning it to the airport location. We also will return the car next week at the airport, I can write back to let you know if I experience any issues, but everything appears to work smoothly. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Macungie...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

Can someone please walk me through how to negotiate this step by step?

I am arriving at Denver Airport at 10:59 pm this coming Friday. Is this too late to be able to swing this process?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

Reserve at http://locations.avis.com/co/denver/dn6.html

do drop off at Denver Airport.

Macungie...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees

It suggested it was too late to pick up a car at 1130 pm at the double tree.

Reply to: avoiding Denver airport car rental fees
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted