We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days to play from Denver to Eugene OR. Ideas Please

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
5 days to play from Denver to Eugene OR. Ideas Please

Husband and I flying into Denver, CO for a reunion in late June. Reunion is OVER June 28, a Friday. We want to be in Eugene OR on July 2 or 3. What plans could we make? We haven't settled on driving, flying, train. Our ticket to Denver from our home state is one way. We are not limited in any way except time. Ideas would be so appreciated! Thanks. Wendy

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days to play from Denver to Eugene OR. Ideas Please

since your plans and travel mode are not super firm as of yet perhaps consider close to Denver and visit RMNP if you haven't been and Estes Park/Grand Lake areas. Fort collins is a great area to explore on the way to Estes Park with a couple neat breweries (New Belgium and Budweiser). You can head into Estes via Big Thompson Canyon which is very scenic. Another close to Denver is Colorado Springs with lots to do there as well with one 14er, Pikes Peak to take in not fully surrounded in mountains but you've got great natural beauty including the Garden of the Gods. If you give more details we can help more also check the road trips forum as well.

Edited: 5:10 pm, April 02, 2013
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days to play from Denver to Eugene OR. Ideas Please

thanks for responding. I don't have more details! Honest. The reunion ends mid day June 28, there in Denver Co, Family hopes for us to be in Eugene for the 4th of July. Husband and I are open to anything, although I am not keen on a long drive from Denver to OR, but I will if I can see or do exciting things along the way. I am getting a headache from all the research and have not been able to narrow it down. We both love national parks, not big on lots of hiking. Nature, history, rock formations, good meals, fun/funky stuff, breweries, music, theatre. That's how we spend our time and would enjoy it there as well. Help!

Denver
Level Contributor
203 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days to play from Denver to Eugene OR. Ideas Please

The California Zephyr Denver-Sacramento is the most scenic train ride in the USA. You might want to blend this ride into your trip. It has a glass observation car.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days to play from Denver to Eugene OR. Ideas Please

OH WOW! This is exactly the type of suggestion I was hoping we would learn. Thank you. I will look into it! Keep 'em coming!

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days to play from Denver to Eugene OR. Ideas Please

Yes. The Amtrak train is a gorgeous ride. Keep in mind that much of it through Utah/California will be at night. The west bound train comes through Hot Sulphur Springs between 10 and noon, daily. It generally leaves Denver around 7 - 7:30am. Amtrak's schedule is iffy... Sometimes they route the train north through Wyoming skipping Denver when they are working on the tracks. So check that!

If you drive, depending on which route you take, you could visit RMNP, here in Colorado. Head west on US 40 to Craig, north from there up to Wyoming and visit Grand Teton NP. Yellowstone may be too crowded for a quick visit right before the 4th.

Along southern Idaho visit the Craters of the Moon. It's a volcanic area and very unique to see. Drop into Oregon and be sure and see the John Day Fossil Beds!

Enjoy your planning!

Safe travels.

6. Re: 5 days to play from Denver to Eugene OR. Ideas Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 06, 2014