We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area for a summer stay.

Redding
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Area for a summer stay.

We are looking at a condo rental for a week's stay this summer on Tower Road. As we are not super familiar with Denver, we were wondering about the neighborhood. Is this a safe area to stay? Are there restaurants around? I believe the address is somewhere in the 5500 to 6000 block of this road? I understand it is a drive to most of the attractions, but we are OK with that as we are also exploring many different areas.

Thank you for any advice.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,785 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area for a summer stay.

Most people would not choose a location close to DIA as their base of operations for a week of vacation in Colorado. Once you go east of I-25, you are not in the real scenic areas of the state. If you are planning on trips to the mountains and not just Denver attractions, I would plan to stay in two locations. Or at least pick a more central location in a more scenic area.

It might help us to suggest some alternate locations if we knew what you wanted to do and see during your week. Are you planning to go hiking, biking, whitewater rafting, ziplining, scenic driving, brewery tours, alpine slides, fishing, rock climbing, museums, zoos, shopping?

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
21 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area for a summer stay.

I don't recommend staying there. It's not unsafe, just very, very boring. It's like a strip of land in the middle of nowhere by the airport. It's probably the place that I'd least recommend to stay when coming to Denver, besides Commerce City (which is unsafe). Your restaurant choices are going to be Sonic and maybe Applebee's. I think it's cool you guys are willing to stay a little ways out and drive, but I would first look at the neighborhoods surrounding downtown denver, or if you are looking for mountain experiences but something cheap, you could even stay in Golden or maybe Westminster/Broomfield, which is halfway between Boulder and Denver. If you have ideas on what you want to do, please share and I would be happy to suggest some places!

Mentioned in this post
Sonic
Sonic
4 Reviews
Denver, CO
Applebee's
Applebee's
58 Reviews
Denver, CO
Broomfield
Broomfield
Colorado
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,140 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area for a summer stay.

v1989 and Ann R are spot on. Towner Rd? I don't even like driving on it!

Are many are traveling, what is the budget?

http://www.vrbo.com/288726 is in Park Hill, my neighborhood. Very convenient to take the bus downtown or you can walk to the Zoo, Nature and Science Museum, City Park. a couple of great restaurants are with walking distance.

Or maybe south and use the light rail. ?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,956 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area for a summer stay.

Also might look at Evergreen for a more "in the mountains" feel yet close to the city. I agree with the others....and will again suggest that if you'll give us a little more information about what kind of vacation you want, we'll be better able to make suggestions.

Many people arrive in Denver expecting to be in the mountains, which isn't the case. If necessary, one can make day trips to the mountains, but it isn't ideal because you're spending quite a bit of time getting through the city and the suburbs and back to your lodging each day. That's why fv suggests staying in two locations...in Denver for seeing the city sights and activities, and another in the mountains. Or, as mentioned, somewhere that is at least a little more central than Tower Road. If not more central, more scenic...i.e. Evergreen area.

For example, say you wanted to visit Red Rocks Park or the Railroad Museum, it would take you about 40 minutes (or more if traffic is bad) to get there from the Tower Road location.

Mentioned in this post
Evergreen
Evergreen
Colorado
Redding
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area for a summer stay.

Thank you so much for all the advice. Sounds like it's not the best place to stay, however, we are already pretty much locked into it. We were mostly concerned about safety of the area, the driving does not bother us. Boring may even be nice for a few moments of just relaxation. :)

While there we are certainly planning on going to The Mint, the Zoo and Natural History Museum, Estes Park for a day, shopping, and perhaps Colorado Springs for a day. Any places we must go to for children between 6-10 and you can think of?

Thanks again so much for all of the advice.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,140 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area for a summer stay.

<<pretty much locked into it>> at this far out is there no way to get out of your lodging?

take a look at denver.org there are all sorts of ideas for day trips.

7. Re: Area for a summer stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 21, 2014