We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver The vacation pick by my brother this year :)

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Denver The vacation pick by my brother this year :)

As always my brother picks a city that he knows nothing about and he does not have the time to research. :). Oh well what are big brothers for.

Looking for a great area to stay in July. We wil be with another couple and we are in our 50's. We are looking for a great location and a area that has plenty to do. We like to eat, shop, sightsee and some R&R also. We are planning on 5 days. Is downtown a good location to stay. And if need be we will rent a car. Open to other areas.

Thank you.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,577 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver The vacation pick by my brother this year :)

The number one reason most people come to Colorado on vacation is for the mountains. Denver is a great city. It is not in the mountains. There are wonderful day trips from Denver to the mountains and other places.

www.denver.org/what-to-do/colorado-day-trips

The Mount Evans Scenic Byway and Rocky Mountain National Park's Trail Ridge Road are definitely mountain experiences you will never forget.

If you want to stay in the mountains, look at Breckenridge or for less people and small town charm--Main Street Frisco.

www.gobreck.com

www.townoffrisco.com

I would encourage you to at least spend a couple of nights in a mountain setting.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver The vacation pick by my brother this year :)

Took the words right outta my mouth, fv.

Do you think your five days will be five days/4 nights? Or are you thinking day of arrival, 5 days and then day of departure?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver The vacation pick by my brother this year :)

I love Denver, stay downtown, we have world class museums, performing arts center, great dining. You don't need nor really want a car downtown. I agree too to get in some mountain time. Vail, Breckenridge or Frisco depending on activities. Vail being more upscale, great dining. Frisco is a charming small town with a cute little main street and Breckenridge busier with more lodging dining and shopping options than Frisco.

If that sounds good then I'd go Downtown Denver first then rent he car at a rental counter there for the mountain time. It is about 1.5 hours to Frisco and 2 hours to Vail. Know that Frisco and Breck are only about 9 miles apart.

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver The vacation pick by my brother this year :)

I would recommend Estes Park. There is plenty to do and see there. It is a very touristy town with a lot of cute stores for shopping. It is also in the mountains so it is very easy to get away. Rocky Mountain National Park is up there for some beautiful hiking. There is also the Stanley Hotel for an easy/interesting activity. They often have different festivals/celebrations downtown which are fun. It is close enough to Denver that you could do downtown Denver for a day or two and then head on up into the mountains.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver The vacation pick by my brother this year :)

Downtown Denver is magical on a summer night. Stay on or near the 16th Street Mall. Time the trip to be downtown during a Rockies home game and walk to the ball park. Five or six lovely blocks.

Denver art museum and mint tours are downtown. Rent a car and take gorgeous drives to Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, Georgetown (check the Georgetown Loop Railway) -- and a dramatic drive over Loveland Pass off Interstate 70 past Georgetown. Fun!!

Maui
Level Contributor
365 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver The vacation pick by my brother this year :)

When in July? Get a car

A show at Red Rocks? http://www.redrocksonline.com/Calendar.aspx

Great Bluegrass weekend in Lyons

www.bluegrass.com/rockygrass/lineup.html

Cheyenne Frontier Days in Cheyenne WY are near the end of July - great rodeo and concerts

Look for Concerts at Botanic Gardens - schedule will be out in April timeframe

Stranahan's Rackhouse Pub and Tour - fantastic whisky - http://www.stranahans.com/tours/about/

Dinner at the Fort http://www.thefort.com/

Drive to the Bucksnort - http://thebucksnortsaloon.com/

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver The vacation pick by my brother this year :)

Downtown we like The Oxford Hotel. It's been awhile, so not sure if they have remodeled all their rooms, but the Victorian deluxe rooms were very nice.

I too would say visit the mountains. Georgetown is only a 50 minute drive for a day trip, Vail and Estes Park 1 1/2 hours. In Estes Park there is usually a 3 night minimum for cabins that time of year but not at a motel.

Keep in mind that a drive back to Denver on a Sunday can be horrible on I-70. It's as bad in summer as ski season. Leave before 10 am or after 6 pm.

8. Re: Denver The vacation pick by my brother this year :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 26, 2014