We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please recommend scenic drives and hikes similar to Mount Ev

TO
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please recommend scenic drives and hikes similar to Mount Ev

Hello,

I'll in Denver in June for a couple of days. Mount Evans Scenic Byway is on my to-do list.

I've previously visited:

Colorado National Monument

scenic drive near Colorado Springs

Denver itself

I'm looking for recommendations for similar drives/hikes.

Thank You in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Mount Evans Scenic Byway
Mount Evans Scenic Byway
841 Reviews
Denver, CO
Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please recommend scenic drives and hikes similar to Mount Ev

Two routes jump to mind: The Peak to Peak scenic byway, and Rocky Mountain National Park. How much time you have, as in continuous hours in a row, but here are some suggestions.

For the Peak to Peak, I suggest driving west on I-70 to Exit #243, the Central City Parkway http://www.centralcityparkway.com/index.cfm , then take that through Central City and BlackHawk to Hwy 119. At Blackhawk, turn left (north) on Hwy 119. Here is a map of the scenic byway www.coloradodirectory.com/maps/peak.html [Under the 'Top Questions about Colorado' (one level up from this page), there is a topic "what is the peak to peak highway like".]

Note that the I-70 exit to Mt. Evans is # 240. (the exit numbers go up west to east). So if you had an early start to Mount Evans, you could then stop for Lunch in Idaho Springs, then travel north to Estes Park via the Peak to Peak byway.

Estes Park is at the other location for a scenic Drive: Rocky Mountain National Park. You can also drive to Estes Park via Boulder or Loveland. Both are scenic routes to get to Estes Park.

Mentioned in this post
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,948 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please recommend scenic drives and hikes similar to Mount Ev

Were you looking for something close to Denver that you can do as a day or late afternoon trip? Or will you have additional days to travel before/after your stay in Denver?

The Peak to Peak Scenic Byway to Estes Park would be highly recommended, as would a visit to Rocky Mountain National Park (plenty of hiking there!) and Trail Ridge Road.

Mentioned in this post
TO
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please recommend scenic drives and hikes similar to Mount Ev

Thank You for the recommendations.

Here is what I came up with so far.

I should fly in to Denver ~8am with only carry on, so I should be able to get out of the airport by 9am.

So for the first day I plan on going to Rocky Mountain National Park via Estes park entrance (should get there ~noon with a stop for breakfast), drive on trail ridge road, go for a short (<4 miles return) hike, leave the park ~4:30pm. Drive via Peak to Peak Scenic Byway to hotel in Georgetown.

On the second day, I have 8pm flight, so I would like to get to the airport vicinity ~5pm to fill up, to return rental car and to get to the terminal by 6pm. I would like to visit Mt. Evans, and it would be nice to visit something nearby or on the way to Denver.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please recommend scenic drives and hikes similar to Mount Ev

You could stop by the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge. They have a nice recently completed visitor center and it is close to DIA. denver.org/what-to-do/…rocky-mountain-arsenal

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,785 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please recommend scenic drives and hikes similar to Mount Ev

To combine the most scenic and time efficient way to see all you want to see, look at this route.

http://mapq.st/SrgU98

Some added information for this route:

119 goes through beautiful Boulder Canyon and joins the Peak to Peak at Nederland. The Peak to Peak is more scenic in my opinion heading north. Boulder would ge a great place to stop for breakfast.

Trail Ridge Road is not just a drive. There are numerous scenic overlooks and short trails along the way. Allow at least 4 hours to drive from Estes Park to Grand Lake over Trail Ridge Road. More would be better. I would consider spending the night in Grand Lake instead of Georgetown. You would have more time for hikes and stops along Trail Ridge Road. www.grandlakechamber.com

Here is a link for Trail Ridge Road by milepost. Note there is a part two.

nationalparked.com/US/Rocky_Mountain/Roads/T…

Highway 40 through Winter Park over Berthoud Pass to Georgetown is a very pretty drive, could be a scenic byway, too.

The mapquest route goes to Summit Lake, the summit of Mount Evans is actually 5 miles further up highway 5. Along the section of the Mount Evans Scenic Byway between Echo Lake and Bergen Park, there are two great overlooks at Juniper Pass and Eagles Aerie. See this link for other areas of Mount Evans to explore. www.mountevans.com

You need to add at least 2 hours for stops along this byway.

Driving/walking at altitude over such a short time can give you altitude sickness. Drink plenty of water, limit caffeine and alcohol, take it slow, add a baby aspirin (assuming no RX interactions) daily several days before and during your visit to help reduce possible symptoms. There are lengthy discussions about altitude sickness in the Top Questions on the Colorado Forum.

Mentioned in this post
Nederland
Nederland
Colorado
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Georgetown
Georgetown
Colorado
Mount Evans Scenic Byway
Mount Evans Scenic Byway
841 Reviews
Denver, CO
6. Re: Please recommend scenic drives and hikes similar to Mount Ev

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 23, 2014