We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden??

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golden??

Hi. I am finalizing vacation plans. I ran across a good deal for a hotel in Golden Co. I know it's not right in Denver but what is the area like in Golden? Would it be a fun and safe place to stay for our 5 day trip? Thanks for all the help.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
267 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden??

I love Golden. it's my second favorite place, right after Denver. I lived there before moving to Denver. Golden is definitely mellow, but I don't think I would call it "fun".

It's a sleepy little town with a creek running through it--lovely setting (though undoubtedly much lovelier before the giant and ugly Coors Brewery was built), nestled between the foothills and two mesas that separate it from the rest of the sprawling Denver metro area. It has a quaint (small) downtown, is sort of but not really a college town, has easy access to/from Denver, and not a whole lot (any?) of nightlife, if that's what you want.

Yes, definitely safe, but if you are odor sensitive you may not like it there. There is almost always an odor in Golden, either from the Coors Brewing Company (not such a bad smell, I don't think), or from the Coors Ceramic plant. The Ceramic plant smell is awful, in my opinion--but you mostly only notice it in the north part of town near Highway 58 and not so much downtown where you often (but not always) smell the brewery. Anyway, smells aside, there's a lot more to do in Denver than in Golden, so you will probably be spending most of your time back in Denver.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't stay in Golden though. It's definitely more peaceful there than Denver and closer to the mountains.

There is a bus, the 16 that runs between Golden and Denver. If you didn't want to drive, you could take it. It runs up Colfax Ave and drops you off by the State Capitol. That puts you near many of the sights.

But, I'd suggest that if you want to be going out at night in Denver, you should either drive back and forth from Golden to Denver or stay in Denver. The 16 bus can be an "interesting" ride with an unpredictable cast of characters. It also takes about twice as long to make the trip on the bus as it does by car. If that doesn't phase you, then park yourself in Golden and take the bus. You can get the bus schedule at the RTD (regional transportaton district) website.

Hope that helps.

Oh, one thing to be aware of is that sometimes businesses have a Golden address but they may not be right in Golden. There is downtown Golden which is quaint and worth staying in, but you might have a hotel that is actually in the Denver West area. That means basic suburbia. Not interesting at all. Denver West is just outside of Golden and very close to Denver, so it is not a bad location for a tourist, just not an interesting one.

Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden??

Thank you for your response. You have been a great help. Thanks for all the info on Golden. I know that there's all the fun and nightlife in Denver, but we honestly don't mind staying outside the city and driving in. We plan on getting a rental car anyways. In Dec. when we went to Oakland, CA we didn't stay in Oakland we actually stayed 30 min. about outside Oakland in Pleasanton. So that worked out great. The road that the hotel is on is YOUNGFIELD SERVICE ROAD. What do you know about that road? Considered Golden? or Denver? In my coupon book it was actually under Denver. Thanks again. I really appreciate all of this. I went to Denver about 10 years about but I was young and now I am 22 going without my mom and without staying with her friend. So I just want to get any info and details and do all the research that I can. Thanks again!!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
267 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden??

Youngfield Service Road puts you in the suburbs. Like I said, it's not a bad location in terms of providing easy access to many places--it's just the suburbs. You can easily go into Golden or to Denver from there. I'm not sure exactly which city you would be in, as that side of town is a jumble of Lakewood, Wheatridge, Golden, and unincorporated Jefferson County.

Downtown Golden would be more desirable (Table Mountain Inn, Golden Hotel, or one of the B&Bs in town there), but the hotels there are not cheap. That's the way it goes--you want the more desirable location, you gotta pay for it. so, this doesn't sound like a bad deal, all in all.

I still think you'd have more fun closer to downtown Denver, but you obviously have to do what makes you most comfortable.

good luck!

Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden??

Thank you again for all your help. I really appreciate it. I think that we will end up staying in Golden and just drive into Denver. Since it's not too far away. Then we can stay in Golden and relax as well. If you have any other ideas or suggestions just let me know. Thank you again.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
267 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden??

Just a final clarification--you won't be in Golden. More likely you will be in unincorporated Jefferson County out by I-70 and a couple of malls. The area out there that is unincorporated is typically given a Golden address, but it is not really in Golden.

Denver
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden??

I lived and went to college in Golden and I must say that there isn't much to do as far as nightlife goes. No, you will not be in Golden from Youngfield, but about 5-10 mins away on highway 58.

Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden??

What is young service road like? Is there restaurants near there? It's okay if we aren't in Denver because we can get the night light if we drive in. Kind of want a city not to far from Denver to relax but still be able to drive to Denver. Thanks for your post. I really appreciate it. I can use any help or advice. Thanks.