We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing near Denver?

Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
Skiing near Denver?

OK - here's the situation. I have a work thing on in Vegas in March, and to get there, I'm flying through Denver. Because the ticket is sooo much cheaper when I build a Saturday night into it, I can either stay in Vegas for the weekend, which I have done before, or Denver.

My question is: is there anywhere close to Denver that I can spend a Saturday skiing? (planning on flying in on the Friday night, then flying out on Sunday, so I'd have the full say to ski on Saturday.)

please help!!

Calif
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Skiing near Denver?

I'd go to Keystone Resort. It's about an hour from Denver (when traffic is moving), and pretty good skiing. It's all highway too, so you don't have to deal with the slow goings of Vail Pass or other passes to places like Winter Park, Maryjane, etc. Loveland Ski Area would be the closest to Denver, but it's not my favorite ski place. Since you're doing just one night, I wouldn't bother with a resort place. You can book a night at La Quinta in Silverthorne (just outside of Keystone resort and on the way back to denver), or the Comfort Inn in either Dillon or Frisco and it shouldn't be too expensive.

Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Skiing near Denver?

Thanks Shell. I've done some research in the last couple of hours.

Thing is, I won't have a car and I don't fancy driving anyway - particularly in mountains in snow on the other side of the road.

I'm seeing Winter Park even has a train that takes you as good as to the door at Winter Park, and basing myself for the two nights (Friday night and Saturday night) Denver. I really only want to go skiing, and as I have to fly back to London the next day and will be alone - I don't want to party all night on Saturday.

So - does this sound reasonable? Fly into Denver on the Friday night, get up early and do Winter Park on Saturday, then catch the train back that afternoon and relax before flying out on Sunday?

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Skiing near Denver?

That could work. You'll just need to get from wherever you stay in Denver to Union Station (In downtown, with plenty of hotels around so I'd recommend staying in/near downtown).

Google for Winter Park Ski Train to get rates/info.

Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Skiing near Denver?

yep - was hoping to get some ideas on downtown hotels on this forum now that the ski thing is worked out. The Ski Train is pretty reasonable and you can get lift pass on board (cheaper in advance) and rental gear at WP. Sorted!

If you know of any great 4-5 star hotels in Downtown/Union Station area, please let me know!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Skiing near Denver?

Walk out the front door of the Oxford Hotel and you'll be mere steps from Union Station....it's about 1/2 block or so away from the train station.

Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Skiing near Denver?

I'm seeing some bad reviews for the Oxford Hotel - so I think I may stick with Westin/Hyatt/Marriott.

Thanks though!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
61 reviews
7. Re: Skiing near Denver?

Hi, Syndney Chick.

We just returned yesterday from Winter Park- out first trip to the Rockies for skiing. We had a rental car and the drive was about 1.5 hrs total. But the train is a good idea. We stayed at the Zephyr Mountain Lodge (I think weekends book up quick). It was a great location at the base of the mountian. You can walk right to the lift in a matter of a minute. There is a lot of good skiing there. I think you'll have a great day of skiing!

Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: Skiing near Denver?

Thanks Roxian,

As I am going alone with noone to share the driving, I'm going to chill out on the train. Thanks for the report on WP - I'm hoping there will still be snow in mid-March, but the ski season seems to be a lot more reliable in the US than Australia, so it should be okay.

Thanks again!

Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
9. Re: Skiing near Denver?

Oh, and I am going to base myself in Denver - I'll have all my work stuff with me (laptop etc) and I don't fancy lugging everything on the train to stay in the mountains - logistically it doesn't make sense since I can't get to WP the night before and I am flying out of Denver on Sunday anyway.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
61 reviews
10. Re: Skiing near Denver?

Sydney chick- we arrived there last Friday to a lot of snow. They had received 11.5 inches the night before. Everyone said it was the best year in 20 years for skiing. I think you'll be in good shape in mid-March.

If you don't stay slopeside, they seem to have a lot of shuttles around town to get you back and forth.

Have fun!