We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tubing/sledding near Denver?

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
994 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Tubing/sledding near Denver?

We are going to be in town for a volleyball tournament over St. Patrick's Day weekend and anticipate having Sunday afternoon off to enjoy the sights. We would like to drive to the nearest area where we can go tubing or sledding or do some type of snow activity besides skiing. Any suggestions on what would be the closest drive from downtown Denver?

Colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tubing/sledding near Denver?

Sunday afternoon could possibly be the worst time to head into the mountains. Getting to the mountains wouldn't be a problem. Getting back to Denver could take hours. The traffic coming back Sunday afternoon and evening is bumper to bumper.

The Fraser Tubing Hill in Fraser Colorado is pretty good. You would need most of the day to go there and back. It's on the opposite side of the Continental Divide over Berthoud Pass. The tubing hill has its own tow rope so you're not wearing yourself out hauling the tube back to the top of the hill.

Personally, I don't think an afternoon is enough time. If there is snow in Denver during your tournement, many locals go to Ruby Hill Park in Denver. It's a hit or miss thing this time of year for snow. Today it snowed 4 or 5 inches. If we get warm weather, it could be gone in a day. You just never know.

Good luck!

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
994 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tubing/sledding near Denver?

Thnaks for your answer and your honesty! Actually, I had researched it a little further and realized exactly what you stated--getting back to Denver could be a nightmare on Sunday afternoon so I had pretty much decided to forget about it!

Can you tell me the location of this hill in Denver and how to get there from 16th street (we're staying at the Courtyard Marriott). Would we bring our own sleds?

Thanks!

Colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tubing/sledding near Denver?

You would definitely need your own tube or sled. Like I said before, snow could be here one day and gone the next. If there is no snow, Ruby Hill, is just a park on a hill.

If you are staying at the Courtyard Marriott, Ruby Hill is due west of the hotel.

However, because of the rivers and such, the easiest way to get there and not get lost is head south on Colorado Blvd (about 7 or 8 blocks)to Evans Ave turn west (the mountains are on the west side of Denver) .

Go west on Evans Ave about 3 miles or so. You will cross over Sante Fe Dr. You'll know Sante Fe by the large overpass. Turn north on Platte River Drive immidiately AFTER you cross the Platte River (hence the name of the street). If you miss your turn, you will be heading UP a hill. Don't panic, head north and you'll find the park.

Go about 2 block to Jewell Ave, or continue north to Florida Ave (stoplight) The park is on the west side. Parking is on the west side and can be accessed from either Jewell, or Florida.

Good Luck.

4. Re: Tubing/sledding near Denver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 25, 2009