We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

fort worth, tx
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

Hello.

I know that it is closer to fly into Aspen or Gunnison, but I will have to fly into Denver, Colorado Springs or Vail. I know Denver is quite a drive, and Vail and Colorado Springs look about equal distance on the map. Which would be an easier drive? I am a Texan and not used to snowy mountain roads!!

Thanks much!

Mentioned in this post
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

I assume you're trying to get to Crested Butte and in the winter? I see you've already ruled out Aspen, but for anyone else considering this do not try to get to Crested Butte from Aspen in the winter as your arrival/departure airport. It's very, very close on the map as the crow flies, but this is over a dirt road that closes in the winter. Otherwise, you'd go the long way around and it would take several hours to get there.

I believe Colorado Springs would be a 3 to 3.5 hour drive, and Denver probably an additional hour on top of that.

I've never done it myself, but I'm told Montrose Airport would probably be the best alternative to Gunnison (about an hour and a half from CB) and then after that I'd choose Grand Junction, about 2.5-3 hours away.

Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

I'll 2nd the don't fly to Aspen to get to Gunnison, Independence pass closes around Oct 30th, so it's the LONG way around if you do that. They should build a tunnel, ala Europe.

Depending on price you may want to try Grand Junction or Montrose. Of the 2 big airports, I'd definitly take Colorado Springs over Denver. The springs airport is nice and non-hectic since it's only about 12-14 gates, so security/terminal/etc are all much less crowded. Best example is that I usually walk from terminal to long term parking.

Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
Independence Pass
Independence Pass
1,381 Reviews
Aspen, CO
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

There are probably no direct flights to Gunnison, so you will have to fly into either Denver or Colorado Springs and then take a commuter flight to Gunnison. If you don't want the commuter flight, then fly into Colorado Springs, because it will be a more direct route to Crested Butte.

Mentioned in this post
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
fort worth, tx
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

What about Vail?

My issue is that I live in Fort Worth, TX. American Airlines is having a special where I can get all 3 tickets for 45,000 miles. However, I need an airport that I can get to nonstop on AA from DFW. Would Vail be better than Colorado Springs? Unfortunately I can't get an AA flight nonstop to Gunnison. (That would be too easy!). Thanks for your help, guys, I appreciate it.

I'm not even sure if we will go to Crested Butte. We have never been skiing,so I am investigating different places. I was originally going to go to Keystone, however it is much more expensive for ski school and lift tickets there. We are traveling in early season, Dec 2. Crested Butte is much cheaper during that time and looks like a cute little town.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

Crested Butte is a great town! As everyone has said above, scrap Aspen (you already have it looks like). I would choose Colorado Springs over Vail, personally. The "short" way from Vail is over a dirt road that is closed during the winter. The drive from Colorado Springs is a nice one and all of the roads you would take are well traveled and maintained in the winter.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Vail
Vail
Colorado
fort worth, tx
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

Thanks very much. I definitely need well maintained. You know everything in Texas shuts down with just a little ice!!

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

Crested Butte is a great town, but if you're really still uncertain on where to go skiing and you really feel like you need to lock up the awards tickets now, flying into Eagle Vail will give you the most choices while you make up your mind.

It's then an hour and a half to Aspen/Snowmass on one side or probably no more than that to go as far as Breck, Keystone, and Copper on the other. Of course, closest to the airport you also have Vail or Beaver Creek as well.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

HOLD ON man. If you're coming dec 2nd, you better check that CB will even be open. They're more a destination resort and not a big front range daytrip resort, so they may not have much, if anything open by then. Coming that early you may want to reconsider the Breck/Keystone/Copper area. They all have extensive snowmaking and usually get a decent amount open by then.

I dont' know about CB snowmaking abilities, so you may also be at the whim of mother nature for snow.

It'd stink to spend the miles/money and have little or no snow to ski on.

Mentioned in this post
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

txcris - AA is offering non-stop from DFW to Gunnison beginning on December 14th. Can you wait until then or are there certain black-out dates? Check out the Crested Butte website if you are still interested in Crested Butte. http://winter.skicb.com/page.php?pname=winter

Mentioned in this post
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
fort worth, tx
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly into Vail or Colorado Springs?

I actually really want to go to Keystone, but the lift tickets and lessons are so expensive. I've read that King Sooper's has discount tickets and I called the other day, but they didn't have the rates yet. The only reason I was looking at CB is because my son would ski free and it is really reasonable for me and my husband. However, if you think the snow may not be good that early in the season, then I may just have to deal with the much higher rates at Keystone. We only have 3 days to ski, and I'm sure our lesson the first day will include a lift ticket. Therefore, I only need 2 days of lift tickets, but it looks like I have to get the "3 of 5" for 174.00 adult and 105.00 child. That in addition to lessons is quite a bit of $$....especially for newbies. It's not like we want to fly off a double black or anything fancy! :P

Mentioned in this post
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Get answers to your questions about Crested Butte