We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crested Butte info

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Crested Butte info

Hi - we are planning a trip to get to some cooler weather than Texas - were considering Vail but then started looking at the Crested Butte/Gunnison area. What is the eating/shopping/ etc. like in these two towns? Is the weather good in August? thanks

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crested Butte info

We have been to those areas in August and while it can be hot to the locals it's dry heat and we enjoyed coming then as we come from a state where humidity resides. We were comfortable and experienced great weather (no rain that I recall even). There's some local cafes and restaurants in Gunnison. There's a Sonic and Taco Bell there for chains. Some restaurants, etc. include Garlic Mike's, Farell's, Gunnison Brewery, Mario's Pizza and more:

http://www.visitgunnison.com/dining.cfm

www.gunnison-co.com/index.php?pid=shopdine

http://www.gunnison-co.com/index.php?pid=shop

Crested Butte had several places along the main st. to eat that we walked by but we didn't eat there on our visit. I imagine there was more on the mountain as well.

http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/dining.cfm

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g33377-Crested_B…

http://www.djangos.us/

skicb.com/cbmr/…dining-crestedbutte.aspx

www.skicb.com/cbmr/things-to-do/shopping.aspx

skicb.com/cbmr/…shopping-cb.aspx

These areas offer so much in the way of exploring, both in town and out of town. Blue Mesa Reservoir, Curecanti, Taylor Reservoir, Crested Butte and Gunnison, Lake City and more.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crested Butte info

Gunnison has a very affordable golf course. There is good fishing in the area, too. There are a few unique shops on main street. Travel a little north of Gunnison about 15 minutes to Almont. There are quaint cabins to stay in. You can hire a guide and fly fish there, too. Rafting might not be possible in August. Depends on the snow melt off. Continue north to Crested Butte. It's a whole different scene than Gunnison/Almont. It's a beautiful little town. You can hike, ride bikes, and fish. There are numerous shops on main street to visit. There are plenty of good restaurants, too - of all price ranges. Teocali Tamale is good for a cheap lunch. McGill's or Paradise are good for breakfast.

Slogar or Gourmet Noodle are good for dinner. For a more expensive and quiet dinner, you can try Soupcon or Lil's. All of those are good! Pizza? Try the Secret Stash.

Crested Butte
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crested Butte info

Having decided to do an outdoor activity, parked the truck at a popular trailhead and in a proper parking area. (Want to make that clear. When locals find out what took place, the first things they ask is how was the vehicle parked. Implying that these actions are justified if not parked properly.) An ice pick puncutre was placed in the side wall of the rear left tire so that it could not be repaired. The hissing sound from the tire could be heard at the next stop. Called roadside assistance and they made calls to local tire repair shops in CB to come assist with replacing the spare. Roadside assistance called me back shortly and stated that only one repair shop responsed and they said it would take 4 hours. Got on the phone myself and started making calls. One very kind gentlemen from Gunnison (28 miles away) was there to help within the hour. He got me back on the road with my spare and found a replacement tire for what became the new spare at no charge. Filed a police report for auto insurance purposes. AUTO TRAVELERS check the spare and even then, be prepaired to buy a new tire as this vandal knows how to destroy a tire!! Asked the officer if this was common and he stated that certain types of vehicels were targetd at the start of this summer season (Hummers) but that my vehicel was not one of them. However, my vehicle does have out of state plates.

Edited: 11:25 am, August 20, 2011
Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crested Butte info

CB is more of a ski town... busy, cool weather, slowing down a bit since the kids are going back to school.

CB has two towns that are mostly together. There is CB and Mount CB. I prefer CB. Gunnison is 30 miles down the road and much bigger town with a WalMart and some well recognized chains.

CB is more in the mountains and more of my flavor. There are mostly small hotels in CB and condo units in Mt. CB...

The weather should be great in August... warm days (high of 80 is super warm for CB), crisp nights (make sure to bring a jacket).

C'mon, get up here! Time is a wastin'

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crested Butte info

on our way friday - cant wait! booked a cabin 6 miles outside of CB on a lake - looks awesome - then head to Telluride for a few days - thanks for all the insight

6. Re: Crested Butte info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 09, 2012