We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving help

Which Crested Butte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yardley, Pa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
driving help

My wife and I are traveling to Cokorado for the first time in mid-June. We're planning on travelling from Steamboat springs to Crested Butte via the route recommended in this months budget travel - from Carbondale to Gunnison via 133, 92 and 50, and then 135 to CB. We are planning on spending the night and then travelling to Manitou springs for our final 2 nights. Is this route a recommended drive in a rental car this time of year? Thank you.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving help

Yes, beautiful road, all paved, so no problem with a rental car. It's around a 6 hour drive without stops, 8-9 hours with lunch and photo ops. Be sure to watch out for wildlife on the road, especially in the evening.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving help

Yes, as dogmama says, you should be fine. But don't try to drive to the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in a rental car as it is not paved. If you want to see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, the south rim drive is better IMO esp. in a rental car. It is a longer drive in miles to go around by Delta and Montrose to the south rim drive at the Black Canyon, but it doesn't take much longer, if any, to go that way.

Also, do check www.cotrip.org for road conditions/alerts before setting out, just on the slim chance that there might be a road problem such as mud or rocks, esp. on 133 if there's been a heavy rain. Probably won't be a problem at all but it's a good idea to check.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving help

I wholeheartedly disagree with the previous reviewer. The North Rim of the Black Canyon is ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY a paved road from the Blue Mesa Dam to Crawford and on to Hotchkiss. At no point to you have to ride on anything unpaved. I've ridden the route on my road bike as one of my regular rides and frequently take friends and family on the North Rim road by car for the scenic beauty. It is eye-poppingly gorgeous.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving help

The highway is paved, yes, from Blue Mesa to Crawford and Hotchkiss, as dogmama and I noted. However, the North Rim of the National Park is not paved and the visitor center there is not open full time. This is copied directly from the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park website:

"The North Rim is reached by taking a gravel road from the east end of Crawford State Park. The North Rim Road provides access to 6 overlooks....

Information is available at the North Rim Ranger Station, open intermittently in summer. The North Rim Road is closed in winter."

www.nps.gov/blca/planyourvisit/drives.htm

The National Park contains the deepest, most dramatic 14 mile section of the Black Canyon, which runs 53 miles, with the Gunnison Gorge Recreation Area on one end and the Curecanti National Recreation Area on the other.

The highway from Crawford to the intersection of Hwy 50 at Blue Mesa Reservoir is not closed in the winter or spring unless there are severe weather conditions; the Park Service is talking about the North Rim Drive within the National Park. The highway is paved; the road in to the National Park Black Canyon viewpoints is gravel. I stand by my statement that if you are in a rental car and want to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, the south rim drive is better.

5. Re: driving help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 04, 2012