We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental, lodging & rest info

RazorbackDiva
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental, lodging & rest info

I'm taking my son and his girlfriend (Seniors) to CB for the first time and to visit the Gunnison College.

Lodging - We are staying at the Emmons Bldg, I hope

this is a good location? I want to be close to

everything and not really into walking and riding

the shuttle.

Rentals - Where is the best place to rent skis and

the kids are going to snowboard. My son wants to

purchase a pair of snowboots so who would be the

best for that.

Rest - Any suggestions for the Mtn. and town. We are

really down to earth and don't want to dress up.

Maybe burgers, steak one night, they like sushi,

Mexican or italian. Just anything really.

Sorry for so many questions just can't seem to find anyone to help me. Also, we arrive new years eve so where is the place we should be and I read there is a rail jam that day. Where does that take place.

Thanks!!!

Debbie

Mentioned in this post
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
Crested Butte, CO
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental, lodging & rest info

Hi Debbie! As a frequent visitor (we own a 2nd home in CB), I'd be more than happy to answer some of your questions.

1) The Emmons building is at the base area on the mountain. This is a great location as far as access to the slopes, but you do need to drive/ride the shuttle to get into town. CB is split up into two towns, Mt. Crested Butte (where the ski area is) and Crested Butte, which is the main town and just down the hill (but not really walking distance). There is a really great shuttle service that runs approx. every 15 mins from the mountain into town.

2) The "best place" to rent skis/snowboards depends on what you're looking for. I'd have to recommend Black Tie Ski Rentals (www.blacktieskis.com). They tend to have the best selection of equipment (their "premium" equipment is brand new every year and features the best and most popular equipment you could buy in a store). They are not the cheapest shop, nor are they the most expensive, but get this--they deliver to your room! Some other shops charge more, and DON'T DELIVER! They are the only shop in town that does this... and there is no extra fee.

3) Food: On mountain: Avalanche Bar and Grill. Great food at even better prices.

In town: Sushi at the LoBar. Not the cheapest, but the best (and only) sushi place in town. Pizza-- either the Brick Oven or the Secret Stash. Brick Oven has more traditional pies, whereas the Stash has incredibly unique (and equally delicious) pizza's--little more expensive and quite a wait on a weekend night (but well worth it). The Last Steep is a good, relaxed, moderately priced place to grab a burger or salad, or fish tacos. Slogars is a Crested Butte must do. They serve one meal, fried chicken (but not like KFC or chicken shack), with all the sides. Lots of really great places to eat in town, Teocalli Tamale, Pitas in Paradise. You can't go wrong.

New Years Eve-- the place to be will be down in town. Sometimes the mountain does a nice little parade thing with torches (I don't know off hand if they are doing that this year) up on the mountain (which is also where the rail jam will be, right outside your lodging). Parties will all be down in town, if you're into that.

Mentioned in this post
Teocalli Tamale
Teocalli Tamale
279 Reviews
Crested Butte, CO
Crested Butte CO
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental, lodging & rest info

Hi Debbie, The Emmons is a pretty good spot to be.

For everything snowboard related I suggest you go to the Colorado Boarder. The Boarder is in the new Mountaineer Square building, close to the shuttle stop. For Skis, I suggest Flatiron Sports also close to you and slopeside.

Steaks: we have a great new steak place called Maxwells.

Pizza: The Brick Oven

Sushi: The Low bar ( a basement place on the corner of 3rd and elk)

Quick mexican; Teocalle Tamale

If everywhere is busy, check out the chinese place on the corner of 3rd and elk, The long Dragon.

As far as eating on the Mtn, I have had good luck with the Avy (avalanche), but they get slammed.

Don't be put off about using the shuttle, its free,

clean, and an easy way to get between the mtn and town.

Snow Boots, If you mean snowboard boots then go to the boarder. If you mean walking in the snow boots look for a pair of Sorels at Paradox footwear on Elk ave, around 5th street.

Please kepp posting questions:) the crested butte forum has been pretty dead.

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,092 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental, lodging & rest info

My daughter and son in law moved to Gunnison this summer and they haven't had to dress up yet...don't know about Crested Butte, tho!

If you are going to be in Gunnison for any meals, (ie while visiting Western State College) there's several good places there, too.

Mentioned in this post
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
4. Re: Rental, lodging & rest info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, October 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Crested Butte