We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vail to CB

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vail to CB

What's the best way to drive from Vail to CB in late September? I'm getting confusing results on some of the mapping software I'm using.

TIA!

Gunnison, Colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vail to CB

You have a few options and they depend on the types of roads you like best, and scenery you'd like to see.

Option 1:

From CB drive over Kebler Pass (through Colorado's largest aspen grove) and then continue either to Aspen on Hwy 134 (for longer more scenic drive, or down to Glenwood Springs via Carbondale on Hwy 82. Then head West on I-70 to Vail about 5 hours and worth every minute in the fall.

Option 2:

This route is more direct (3.5 hours) and NOT as spectacular in the fall and so happens to be the preferred winter route. From CB drive South to Gunnison, East on US 50 to Poncha Springs- North on Hwy 285/24 to Leadville. From Leadville 2 options; to Minturn (Hwy 24) which is less direct and very scenic, or to Copper mountain (Hwy 91), then West on I-70 to Vail.

HAVE FUN. you can email me with additional questions rob@gunnisoncrestedbutte.com or check out our web site for some other cool Colorado Itineraries www.GunnisonCrestedButte.com

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,400 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vail to CB

Google and other mapping software sends you over a tough 4x4 road outside of Marble called Schofield Pass. Don't go there.

Kebler Pass is beautiful, last time I was there (many years ago) it was a gravel road. Not sure if it is paved or not now.

If you want paved highway with wonderful scenery, take US 24 south to Buena Vista, then continue south on US 285 to Poncha Springs. Then head west on US 50 to Gunnison. Then north to Crested Butte.

Have fun.

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vail to CB

Howdy Crescent,

The other posters gave you the best routes as you have requested. In late September when the trees will be changing colors, I like going West on I-70 to the Minturn exit. Proceding south on Colorado Hwy. 24 through Leadville and into Buena Vista. In Buena Vista I turn west and take the road over Cottonwood Pass. It is paved road up to the top of Cottonwood Pass, then it turns into a Very Good (I drive my small car here) gravel road for about 12 miles down to Taylor Reservoir. At Taylor reservoir it turns back to paved road. The road is a beautiful drive down to Almont. At Almont I turn North and go to Crested Butte. I believe this is probably the shortest route.

When in Crested Butte, do take the time to drive to Keblar Pass. (another one of my favorite Colorado drives)

Happy trails,

SandBilly

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vail to CB

Thank you all very much!!

5. Re: Vail to CB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 04, 2009