We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cutting our own Christmas tree

Level Contributor
40 posts
Cutting our own Christmas tree

Hi there! We will be staying in CB for Christmas and would like to take our kids to cut a tree. We got our permit but I am still confused as to where would be a good place to go. We will have chains but not 4 wheel drive. We also don't have snow mobiles. Are there any companies that will take us out for that if need be? I know that the snow is unpredictable and this may not be anything to worry about but I want to be ready just in case. Any advice would really be appreciated. Thank you so much! :)

18 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,957 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Cutting our own Christmas tree

Paging smushie... any advice?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
265 reviews
2. Re: Cutting our own Christmas tree

You might want to check with the place you are going to be staying. I just heard someone say they couldn't have a fresh cut tree in their rental. If you can then perhaps the rental company or person knows of a place.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
197 reviews
3. Re: Cutting our own Christmas tree

Sorry, I’m confused as well. Where did you get your tree permit. Depending on the permit, there’s a designated location to collect your tree.

Also, agree with others about checking with your accommodations manager. Many will be hesitant to permit guests to drag a sappy tree around their property.

Level Contributor
40 posts
4. Re: Cutting our own Christmas tree

Hi! I had asked the man we are renting from about bringing a tree in. He said it was ok. Maybe I should confirm that we want to cut our own. I was planning on bringing a couple sheets to cover the floor. I got my permit from the ranger station in gunnison . She sent a map but I'm still not clear on if there is somewhere near Gunnison or CB that is a little easier to get to. The map just covers a huge area around CB.

Edited: 12:20 pm, November 25, 2017
Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
197 reviews
5. Re: Cutting our own Christmas tree

Can you post a link to an uploaded image of the map?

Level Contributor
40 posts
6. Re: Cutting our own Christmas tree

Let me see if I can figure that out. Lol

Level Contributor
40 posts
7. Re: Cutting our own Christmas tree

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WlBdF4vUWGQavhLn1

Level Contributor
40 posts
8. Re: Cutting our own Christmas tree

Did that work?

Level Contributor
40 posts
9. Re: Cutting our own Christmas tree

Also, we will be driving out from San Diego coming in on US 50 if there is somewhere along there before Gunnison that you think might be better.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
197 reviews
10. Re: Cutting our own Christmas tree

Just trying to make sense of the map. I see some areas circled, but they can't be accessed by vehicle in the winter. Is the permit for anywhere in area outlined in red and marked 55?

Reply to: Cutting our own Christmas tree
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted