We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginner ski in Copper Mtn, or other??

M G
Dallas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Beginner ski in Copper Mtn, or other??

Hi,

I am considering a ski trip for our family of five... none of us have ever been skiing. I am looking for a great beginner resort...... something with convenient ski school and lodging ,so my husband and I aren't stuck lugging all the kids' equipment. Should I look at Copper Mtn or other?? Cost is a consideration, but convenience is equally important. I also have one asthmatic child, so looking for "clean' condos. We are only planning for four nights and all will have to take lessons.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginner ski in Copper Mtn, or other??

may also want to consider breck. For skiing I definitely prefer copper, but off slope, Breck is better.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beginner ski in Copper Mtn, or other??

Copper would be great. Also Breckenridge for beginners is a good place and good family town. We stayed in the Passage something (Passage Point?)condos at Copper a couple years ago; they were a few years old then and nice. There is an on mountian resort that I think is newer at Breckenridge called Timber something, but we have never stayed there. Main Street Station Condos at Breckenridge are very nice and are a walk to the lift and ski school. Copper is one of our favorite ski mountains. Have fun!

M G
Dallas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beginner ski in Copper Mtn, or other??

Thanks for your input. Looks like I'll plan for Copper. Since they have recently renovated their "village", it seems they have some newer properties. The "right" condo can make-or-break a vacation with an asthmatic... dust, mold, etc. along with the elevation could really ruin my son's first ski experience. We really don't want that!!

Thanks again!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beginner ski in Copper Mtn, or other??

Main Street Staion condos in Breckenridge are pretty new condos too (maybe even newer than Passage Point). There is a company called Intrawest or Interwest that has info on the different condos at Copper. If you do stay at Copper, you might drive over to Breckenride to check it out. It's a neat little town and you can get a good pizza at Giampietros and then walk up and down Main Street. and the River walk. Breckenridge ski area is MUCH larger than Coppers, but Coppers is still great. You can get online and find ski trail maps for both locations to get feel. The village at Copper is quaint and small; not that that's bad - we like it. There is an outdoor skating rink and a good mexican restaurant athat we like. Both places are just different type experiences so I don't think you can go wrong for a beginner trip.

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beginner ski in Copper Mtn, or other??

When you book with Copper, be sure to ask for a non-pet friendly unit, that may help with the asthma. Copper One, Passage Point, and Taylor's Crossing are all fairly new buildings there and very close to the lifts, restaurants, arcade, and shopping, they'll be the gold level buildings. Their newest property is also their most expensive, but is very nice, it is called the cirque.

M G
Dallas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beginner ski in Copper Mtn, or other??

Thanks for the great information. This is a great forum! I feel like I am heading in the right direction now!! There's so much information out there, it's just great to narrow the choices down. Sounds like we'll be happy at Breckenridge or Copper. I thought smaller (Copper) might be better for the first time, but maybe Breckenridge has more to do at night (or even during the day if the skiing is now going well). I was also thinking the condos at Copper were generally newer since the "village" was recently re-vamped.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your opinions.

Cologirl14: The Cirque looks like "'my cup of tea". Thanks.

usa
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beginner ski in Copper Mtn, or other??

To avoid or minimize altitude sickness, I recommend you buy a small backpack for everyone in your party about the size that can hold 2 bottles of water. You will likely need to drink while on the mountain to reduce symptoms should they appear. Drink lots of water before you arrive in CO and avoid significant alchohol also. If you get it, It will pass, but be prepared. Since you are coming from TX good chance most of your family will get it early in your trip either on the mountain or possible headaches late afternoon early evening. Be prepared and you'll be fine. On asthma, my 12-yr old son has stress induced asthma and there were no effects from the altitude other than one somehat strong headache one late-day afternoon at the condo. Good luck. The scenery and snow are well worth the effort.

8. Re: Beginner ski in Copper Mtn, or other??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 20, 2009