We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to colorado

Which Copper Mountain hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to colorado

Will be staying in a condo at copper mtn, 1st week in August for 5 days. Never been to CO before, any suggestions of what to do at Copper or surrounding areas ( no more then 2 hr drive away) that will interest myself, wife and two teenagers? Also, can anyone recommend good white water rafting in the area? Also, prefer not to spend my time on long hikes. Like to see mountain landscape from car? Any indian villages in the area? Any spectacular water falls in area?

Steve

denver
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to colorado

Lots of things are within a 2 hr. drive including Denver itself. Denver would be a great Day trip and one your teenagers would probably enjoy. With no traffic Denver is only like an 1 1/2 or so. Vail is only 20 minutes west and there are lots of shops and what not in Vail Village. There are shopping outlets in Silverthorne which is 20 min east. Mt. Evans has good views that you can see from a car, I don't know the exact distance on that but I am pretty sure it's under 2 hrs.

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to colorado

You can head to Leadville over Fremont Pass on Highway 24 right out of Copper Mountain for a spectacular drive full of scenic mountain vistas. Keep going down to Buena Vista and Salida for great small towns in an amazing mountain valley, or head past Twin Lakes and over Independence Pass to Aspen for another high-altitude mountain drive.

Buena Vista and Salida has, arguably, the best white water rafting in the state, but you'll want to check the water level. Don't go if it's under 600-700 cfs - if it's that low, take a leisurely trip down the Colorado River to Glendwood Springs. Both rafting areas are approximately an hour from Copper Mountain.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
858 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to colorado

Check out Glenwood Springs for rafting. Also, you might want to head over to Lake Dillon and rent kayaks or canoes (go to the Frisco Marina). The lake is full right now and there are lots of islands that you can row out to.

Lots to do for teens in Breckenridge; alpine slide, mountain biking. Also, pop over to Keystone for a visit. You'll have no problem keeping busy for 5 days. You'll be in the middle of a mountain landscape.

Enjoy!