We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Afternoon and 5 evenings- What can I do without a car?

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
5 posts
Save Topic
One Afternoon and 5 evenings- What can I do without a car?

I am a business traveler who will arrive mid October on a Sunday and have from noon on to explore CS and then evenings for the next 4 nights. I am having to stay at the Wyndham Colorado Springs (it has mixed reviews but since I will be there for a conferrence and without a car- I have to stay there) I would love your suggestions for things to do. I don't mind taking a cab or calling for a shuttle from one of the formal tour companies. Can you also tell me what kind of weather to expect?

Thanks

Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One Afternoon and 5 evenings- What can I do without a car?

First, as for the weather, expect just about anything. The nights will definitely be cold by then (they are now) but you could get days easily in the 60's and 70's. However, it's also been known to snow in October. I'd check the forecast the week before (though even that could change in a blink around here- the addage is true: If you don't like the weather in Colorado, wait five minutes).

As for where to go in the evening without a car, I'm not sure. It depends on what you're interested in doing. Shopping? Movies? Dining?

You could virtually do all of that downtown but honestly, and especially on week nights, the town shuts down pretty early. If you can, get downtown by four or five, stroll some of the shops and then have dinner. This, of course, would require a cab but you might be able to see a bit of the city that way. I am not sure what kind of shuttle companies (other than those that run to/from the airport) you'll be able to rely on. Maybe check with your hotel.

It is a beautiful time of year to be in Colorado Springs, though so I hope you enjoy the season!

Chicago
Level Contributor
65 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Afternoon and 5 evenings- What can I do without a car?

Miss Michelle - Lived in COS for two years....the mantra is that if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it is so true. Hard to forecast what the weather will be like - their snow season is from October through June, but realize that it snows, is back up into the 50's or 60's the next day and everything melts again. You will be at a high altitude with low humidity so even 45 is comfy with a sweatshirt.

It will take you 90 minutes or about to get to Denver.

In COS, take advantage of the small down-town area. In the more suburban areas - west or north there are some things to do,but nightlife is hard to come by if you are used to a big city.

New York
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Afternoon and 5 evenings- What can I do without a car?

I usually stay at the Sheraton and believe the Wyndham is nearby so my suggestions would be to have dinner at nearby places that you might be familiar with. Not sure if you are the type who likes to try to see new things as I once was when I first traveled but these days I tend to want the simple things like finding a decent inexpensive meal. Outbacks and the Macaroni Grill and nearby and there is also a movie theatre. Apologies if I am dead wrong and the Wyndhan is no where near the Sheraton nor within 7 miles (as indicated in another post)

4. Re: One Afternoon and 5 evenings- What can I do without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, August 27, 2009