We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Colorado Springs first week of January 2015

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Colorado Springs first week of January 2015

Hi guys,

We'll be first time in Colorado Springs Jan 1 - Jan 4, 2015.

We are taking our 5 yo daughter with us - she wants to see the snow.. :-)

How cold could it be there in January?

What kind of activities would you suggest (we will not be skiing)?

Thank you!

Natalie

Houston, TX

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Colorado Springs first week of January 2015

Hi Belka2010. You know that Colorado Springs in not in the mountains? There is a good chance that there will not be any snow at all.

This might help with avg temps

visitcos.com/colorado-springs/travel/average…

What activities are you hoping to do? Are you flexible in the destination or visiting family and friends?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Colorado Springs first week of January 2015

Or the weather can be bitter cold with snow. I spent one holiday snowed in at family's house in Co Springs at that time, 4 days! So be prepared for anything.

Cheyenne Mtn Zoo will probably still have the Holiday Lights on, so that would be fun.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Colorado Springs first week of January 2015

Hi Alli,

Yes, we are flexible.

Just want to show my daughter snow. Snowshoeing, snow tubing, sledding would be terrific!

Please, advise on a place in Colorado.

Thank you!

Natalie

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Colorado Springs first week of January 2015

I agree with Ali, you'd have a better chance of getting snow in someplace around Keystone or Breckenridge. We get plenty of snow, but it wouldn't be guaranteed. Just to clarify, Colorado Springs does have mountains (my husband is doing the Pikes Peak Ascent next week), however, we are not surrounded by mountains.

Colorado Springs is more of a summer destination, especially for families. The North Pole, Cheyenne Mt. Zoo, Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, 7 Falls, Helen Hunt Falls along with our family friendly hikes are all better done in the other seasons.

Colorado Springs...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Colorado Springs first week of January 2015

Hi Natalie,

Colorado Springs is beautiful in any season. The cog railway now runs year round so snow is an option. My son and I went up on June 8th this year and as we reached the summit, it began to snow and sleet - what a treat. They also have the best warm, fresh donuts at the gift/coffee shop up there. The last night for electric safari at the zoo is 1/1 so that may not be an option. visitcos.com will be able to offer numerous suggestions.

If you need a place to stay, the Hotel Elegante is great with an indoor pool and children's play area - very kid friendly! www.hotelelegante.com.

Frankfort, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Colorado Springs first week of January 2015

I agree with SpringsChick that you would have better luck finding snow in Breckenridge or other mountain towns (the Nordic Center in Breckenridge has a sledding area, snowshoe rental, trails, and there is a sled hill downtown as well as a Children's Museum). Breckenridge is about 2-2.5 hours from Colorado Springs.

However, there is still much to do in Colorado Springs and there is a good chance you could see snow, depending on the type of winter we are having. If it is a mild time when you visit, you can drive to Woodland Park, about 30 minutes away, to see snow and go sledding at one of their parks. A bit farther is Cripple Creek, an old mining and gambling town, where you can find snow as well as a Discovery Center (free), a gold mine, and a scenic view of the mountains.

7. Re: Coming to Colorado Springs first week of January 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 05, 2015