We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

First time travel from Albuquerque NM to Colorado Springs, we are able to travel "off grid" looking for scenic stops that are green and dog friendly with not too many people...we only have 5 days to go round-trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

Welcome to the Trip Advisor Forums. Most of the campgrounds in Colorado Springs are not secluded. So just outside (about 15-20 min)of Colorado Springs have a look at www.mountaindalecampground.com/ and nearby Cheyenne Mountain State park. A bit further NW of Colorado Springs in the mountains (about 40 minutes) is Mueller State Park. I would probably split my time between a couple. Colorado in general is very dog-friendly.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
853 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

My favorite campgrounds are in the National Forests. Much quieter then National Parks/Monument campgrounds. And all are dog friendly.

Are you only going to CS? or are you going anywhere else?

Albuquerque, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

We don't have that much time, not sure but thought the Springs would be nice to visit, but we may decide to do a large loop in NM to Red River and over to Navajo Lake...

Albuquerque, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

Thank you for your reply, all the information we can get will be helpful to make the most out of our first RV trip with our dogs! I noticed the mention being in "Black Bear" country in Muller and at Cheyenne they don't let you take your dogs in the back country or on trails...we don't vacation much as we don't like to leave our dogs but have never "locked them in an RV", yikes! We are also considering doing a large loop in NM, from Albuquerque to Red River and over to Navajo Lake, still in the planning and information gathering mode!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

Just about anywhere you go in Colorado west of Interstate 25 ( and northern New Mexico, too, for that matter) is black bear country, so take appropriate precautions. That said, we've never had a problem with bears either camping or hiking, so I wouldn't let that stop you from visiting.

…state.co.us/WildlifeSpecies/LivingWithWildl…

…state.co.us/WildlifeSpecies/LivingWithWildl…

If you want to loop over to Navajo Lake, you might look at campgrounds near Pagosa Springs, South Fork, or in the Rio Grande National Forest west of Antonito.

Albuquerque, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

Have you ever been to Red River? We were considering a large loop from ABQ to Red River then over to Navajo Lake, OR Vallecito...lot's of options and we want to have our best possible experience as it will be expensive for us...we are the type that won't want to stay in any one place for more then a night or two, we like to keep moving :)

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

Yes, I've been to Red River. Haven't camped or hiked much there, though, mainly just visited the town to have lunch and prowl the shops.

Staying in forest service campgrounds will help control your costs. "Dispersed camping" (not in a campground) is often free, but the areas where that is allowed are becoming more difficult to locate for several reasons, i.e. fire danger, potential for habitat destruction, etc. But you might check with the forest service offices in the areas you are considering to locate some possibilities.

kalamazoo
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

Not sure what route you are taking but we camped at Lightner Creek in Durango and loved it-- used it as a launching place to take in Silverton, Mesa Verde. A bit secluded and a beautiful creek side site.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

This is one of the best websites I've seen for info on where you can take your dog on federal lands. hikewithyourdog.com/Articles/DogsFedLands.ht…

The rules vary depending on National Parks, National Monuments, BLM, National Forests, etc. etc. so it's well worth taking a look at that site. The website missp mentioned is excellent. Every hike I've taken lately on the Grand Mesa has involved a bear - never face to face but always there nearby.

One of the funniest stories ever is the one posted in the WY forum by TetonBill about how his dog was being chased by a grizzly and the dog brought the bear right into camp. Funny because all ended well, but be aware that dogs do tick off bears. Especially mothers with cubs. And this year being another drought year with late snow and little food, bears will be on the lookout for food, including what you have in your RV.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best RV spots that are dog friendly and secluded

<<< That said, we've never had a problem with bears either camping or hiking, so I wouldn't let that stop you from visiting. >>>

Same here I have been hiking and camping in Colorado for most of my life. I see the occasional bear, sadly mostly at dumpsters these day, rare to see them in the "wild" and by that I mean darting across a street or running up a far away slope, never close enough to worry me. Not like they are stalking me as in the very poor Anthony Hopkins movie!

While I understand that on the western slope they think of dogs differently, everyplace I have been in Colorado have welcomed both me and my pups.

Edited: 10:33 pm, May 13, 2013