We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

My family has planned a vacation to Colorado Springs during the last couple of weeks in November. Is this a good time to go or will we be stuck indoors due to snow? Also I recently started walking after a foot/ankle surgery and I am not sure how much walking I will be able to do. Is it worth it for me to go if I my walking is limited? What are some sights/activities that you would suggest? Thanks!

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

i would say personally november ain't a great time. the fall colors are over, most summer activities are closed or limited. ski season hasn't really started (not that it sounds like you were going to ski anyway).

there really isn't going to be too much snow in colorado springs in November. there might be, but just probably brisk without actual snowfall. so don't think snowfall will limit your activities. but just the time of season might.

Garden of the gods is open during summer and winter and would be beautiful in both.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

Thanks for the info. It sounds like November won't be a great time to visit. Unfortunately, this is when our vacation is scheduled. I think we will still go to CS since I've never been to Colorado. We have repeatedly visited the Gatlinburg, TN and Asheville, NC areas but would like to go someplace different.

Any further info about activities at that time of year would be appreciated.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

There are a number of different things to see and do in the Springs in November. Yes, the weather may not be great, but you could luck out and get a few days in the 60s(you never know in Colorado!)

-Garden of the Gods. You can drive,walk, or hike through the park and they have a great visitor's center

-Will Roger's Shine on Cheyenne Mountain. Beautiful Shine with beautiful views.

-Broadmoore Hotel. 5 star hotel with a beautiful lake to walk around, shops, and restaurants.

-Olympic Training Center. I think they do tours year round

-Cog railway up Pike's Peak. It is open on limited days and times in Nov.,but you might be able to catch an open day and reserve a spot. I would highly reccommend doing this, it's awesome!

-Day trip to Canon City to see the Royal Gorge

-Day trip to Cripple Creek or Mueller State Park

-Cheyenne Mountian Zoo. It sits on Cheyenne Mountain and offers great views as well as cute animals!

Hope this can help a bit!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

Thanks Rebecki14! I appreciate your ideas. I was thinking about a day trip to Canon (Canyon) City. Sounds like a great idea. How about a day trip to the Rocky Mtn. National Park? I've seen a special on the Travel Channel and they mentioned the Trail Ridge Road going through the park. Is this normally accessible in November?

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

I believe so, but don't quote me on that. I think it will depend on the amount of snow we have had. If it has been light, the road should be open, although I know they have closed it before due to bad weather. You'll have to check the park's website to see if it is open or not. A day trip to Canon is a good idea,you'll love the Royal Gorge!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

When is the best time to visit Colorado Springs? And when is the worst time, for that matter?

Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

I think the best time to visit depends on the temperatures you're comfortable with. The summer is nice but you never know when rain may come (though not at all lately). The winter really is beautiful but, like the other poster said, you might get a day or three of 60's or higher.

There is a lot to do here and yes, most of it does require walking but if you take it easy and take day trips for scenery, you'll be fine. It's very different than the other places you listed that you've been so it's definitely worth it. The only drawback is, you have to pack more clothes because you might need a coat and hat in the morning and shorts and t-shirt by noon.

Have fun!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

Hey thanks FromColorado23. I really want to go on this trip but was skeptical due to my surgery issue. Your comments have encouraged me to just enjoy the scenery and relax while I am there. You're right - it seems to be so different than any of the places we've vacationed before and I can't wait to go.

Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

I almost forgot, see if there is an Air Force football game while you're here. Or an Air Force hockey game or Colorado College hockey game. Those are always fun things to do and no walking required!

The only thing I'd do is get tickets now as all seem to sell out pretty well.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November in Col. Springs - Good or bad time for vacation?

Sounds like a great idea. I'll check into it. Thanks again.