We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden of the Gods park rules

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
6 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Garden of the Gods park rules

We are heading to CO for our family vacation and Garden of the Gods is on our itinerary. I know there are paved trails, but are kids allowed to climb and jump off smaller rock formations? My kids will LOVE that, but I read a few reviews where parents and kids were being yelled at for veering off the paths by docents and rangers. Just want to know the facts, so I can inform my boys. We are law abiding citizens :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garden of the Gods park rules

It's not that it's not allowed, just keep in mind that all forms of human contact with the rock formations over time is going to cause erosion. Oils from the skin and wear from friction add up over time. My kids did a small amount of climbing on the larger formations, but maybe share this information with them ahead of time and use your own judgment, and they too may be supportive in trying to protect what is left of these beautiful formations. Enjoy! It's an absolutely fabulous park.

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,091 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garden of the Gods park rules

If you want the facts you should speak to a ranger or someone who works there. Call 719.634.6666. Also check the website: http://www.gardenofgods.com

Edited: 12:15 pm, March 04, 2013
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garden of the Gods park rules

those with a permit can rock climb there. Other rocks there have specific signs to not crawl around them, though not necessarily every rock. Some have spots where the kids can walk between without really damaging anything. Also Balanced Rock is a popular picture spot and everybody walks on those. So I guess it all depends--it's allowable on some and not others. I hope that helps.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garden of the Gods park rules

Being Colorado Springs tour guide, I go to the Garden of the Gods over 100 times a year and I see kids and adults climb without any special gear all the time. I have to be honest, it hurts me to see it because first of all, all accidents in the park (and I mean all without exceptions) happen because of these kinds of climbers. Almost every year we have fatal falls often those are teenagers. Some people even don't think how they will get down after going up so high. And secondly, as it was already well described by Wish2trvl, erosion of rocks.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
6 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garden of the Gods park rules

Thanks so much for the helpful information. Wish2trvl, explaining to the boys about preservation and protection is a great idea. They know all about erosion from their science classes! Babalax, I will try to contact the park, thanks. Hatchpal4u, yes, your post helps. Knowing that some areas are okay to explore and other areas post warning signs to keep off the rocks sounds reasonable. We'll keep an eye out. Colorado-tour, sorry to hear about all the accidents. You are right...fun can change in an instant if you are not being safe.

As long as the boys know to respect the park, it will be a great day of exploration and fun!

6. Re: Garden of the Gods park rules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 06, 2014