We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pikes Peak Visit

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
georgia02
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Pikes Peak Visit

OK----we are heading to Colorado tomorrow for a first time visit. Pikes Peak, for me, is a must. But I am having a hard time fitting it in. I know early morning is the best time but our mornings are booked----so afternoons it is. We arrive tomorrow (thursday) night. Our Friday after lunch is open or monday after lunch is open. I like the idea of Friday but I am a little worried about the acclimation to the difference in height because we would have only been in colorado about 15 hours at that point. I am also trying to decide whether to drive it or do the cog. Some of the driving stories have scared me a wee bit but we are both good drivers-----any thoughts to either way? In case it matters there are 5 of us----2 mid 30's adults, a 12 year old, 10 year old and just turned 4 year old.

Edited: 12:13 pm, October 03, 2012
Colorado
Level Contributor
443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pikes Peak Visit

Go with Monday, weather looks great then, Friday afternoon isn't going to be good weather wise at all. (and just to warn you, Saturday is looking pretty bad as well if you have lots of outdoor plans).

It's possible the road won't even be open Friday past Glen Cove due to the incoming cold front. At the least it's going to be extremely cold (20's at best is my guess) up there Friday afternoon, possibly snowing.

As to how to go, I prefer the drive to cog, as you just get more time to see things and can stop where/when you want. I feel the good/bad of the Cog is that you are on a schedule, so if time is premium that could be good, but if you want to see a lot or spend time up at top that might not be ideal.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
355 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pikes Peak Visit

I have never driven Pike's Peak, so don't have a comparison, but my kids and I really did enjoy the cog. The scenery both up and down was fantastic, and I got to sit, relax, and enjoy it while not having to worry about a dicey drive. There was a very informative tour guide on the cog who kept it very interesting. We had just enough time at the time to walk around and enjoy, take pictures, buys souvenirs, and have hot chocolate and donuts before the cog had to leave. I give it high reviews!! (Just be sure, if you take the cog, to use the bathroom before leaving the station, there are no facilities on board!)!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pikes Peak Visit

Weather forecast for Pikes Peak

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pikes Peak Visit

The cog is pure enjoyment without the hassle of driving. It really is a neat way to see the cog. I'm sure you see different things whether driving it or doing the cog.

You can get out while driving up, you can't while on the cog,but can at the top.

We took the cog the morning after arriving in CO and the Springs. We had no altitude effects, there were four of us.

georgia02
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pikes Peak Visit

I know about the weather fv, part of me is excited about it because we don't get a ton of snow in TN so I am excited for my kids! The part of me that is packing the clothes for the weather and trying to find things indoors to do is NOT excited about it :(!

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pikes Peak Visit

I meant it's a neat way to see Pike's Peak...via the cog

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pikes Peak Visit

Georgia02, realize that weather forecast is for almost 14,000 ft. The forecast for Denver or Colorado Springs is much milder. It is rare to have a day in Colorado when the sun does not shine at least part of the day. I am originally from the South and the cold here is very different. When the sun comes out, the radiant heat will make 45 feel like 55 or more does in the South. Bring layers. The extended forecast for the second part of your trip looks good.

georgia02
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pikes Peak Visit

Thank you!! The second part of our trip is more of the touring part---the first part is partially consumed with the softball clinic. Is there an area in Denver (city of) that is fun to walk and site see. I didn't know if they had a main street (kind of like Pearl Street in Boulder) that we could just go for a stroll and hang out on one of our free afternoons. Also, what are some indoor activities (the cheaper the better) for Saturday. My husband is going to be in a coaching clinic most of the day so it will be me and the 3 kids. We were going to go to the zoo but that looks like it is OUT!!

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pikes Peak Visit

For indoors there's a ton of museums to check out--Money Museum, Figure Skating Museum, Pro Rodeo Museum, Mining Museum, Pioneers Museum and more. The Air Force Academy is worth checking out (free). Cave of the Winds (after all that's indoors) is another good option. tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g33364-Activitie…

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pikes Peak Visit

Yes, Denver has a pedestrian mall--16th St. Mall.

For kid friendly things to do in Denver, see reply #5 at this post.

Note the link given for denverkids.com has coupons.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k37140…

If the kids like aircraft, Wings Over the Rockies is very good.

www.wingsmuseum.org/