We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildfire concern - July 2012

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Wildfire concern - July 2012

I have booked holidays and hotels to visit Colorado Springs from July 8th - 13th, 2012. However, the forest fires have me concerned as to whether I should postpone this trip for another year... Can anyone from the region please tell me honestly how the conditions are? I appreciate if you can keep me updated over the next week...if I change my plans, I will need a few days notice to cancel hotels. Am still hoping the conditions hold out, but this is an expensive trip for us to make from Canada, and I don't want to have a bad experience, or miss being able to enjoy the area. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Canada
Canada
North America
Worcester...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildfire concern - July 2012

We are planning a trip to the state for July as well and now concerned about the fires - did you get any information?

Diane dianeduratti@gmail.com

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildfire concern - July 2012

They made a lot of progress today. As far as tourist activities and sites, those have all been protected. Drove by the Garden of the Gods today, you could see helicopters flying over but not in the park itself. We live near the Broadmoor, had lots of smoke yesterday, but today was clear. Some roads are closed but would guess in July will not be an issue.

I'm sure most would say it's far from being contained, however, no structures have been destroyed in Colorado Springs, and Manitou Springs residents were able to return to their homes.

Mentioned in this post
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,655 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
The Broadmoor
The Broadmoor
1,417 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,894 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildfire concern - July 2012

We just returned from Colorado Springs for a weekend visit. Sunday afternoon/evening was the worst for smoke in downtown. When we left today you could see the fire plume, but not alot of smoke in town. I would check on the local tv news station websites. www.kktv.com www.koaa.com .

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildfire concern - July 2012

It's hard to predict how things will be here in a few weeks. The smoke in my area (Broadmoor) increased again overnight, and my 5 year old and I are struggling with our asthma.

I would like to hope that in a couple of weeks, things will be well contained. If you only need a few days notice to cancel your hotels, I would give it another week or so, and check on conditions closer to your trip.

Mentioned in this post
The Broadmoor
The Broadmoor
1,417 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
171 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildfire concern - July 2012

If you can afford to wait, I would hold out for another week. An early word was they expected the fire would be extinguished by mid-July. The fire started very near the entrance to the Pikes Peak Highway but the wind has blown it north, away from the attractions. Manitou Springs quickly re-opened and with tourism being such a top priority for the region, they will work hard to get the attractions opened again soon. The Garden of the Gods Visitor Center is re-opening today.

Mentioned in this post
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,510 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,655 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
171 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildfire concern - July 2012

I should correct that, the Garden of the Gods Visitor Center is re-opening Wednesday, June 27th at 8am. Also the Pikes Peak Cog Railway is re-opening on Wednesday as well.

http://www.manitousprings.org

Mentioned in this post
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,655 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
3,025 Reviews
Manitou Springs, CO
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildfire concern - July 2012

The progress on the fire is astounding. The attractions will be open when you come for your visit. Smoke should not be an issue. You will be very surprised at how well these fires are handled and how little to absolutely no impact they will have on your trip given the dates you are coming. See you soon.

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildfire concern - July 2012

What about by next Wednesday or Thursday? My GF and I are planning to arrive on July 4th?

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildfire concern - July 2012

Not good, at this point. Heading north to Flying W Ranch.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildfire concern - July 2012

Heard they are evacuating the air force academy? Is that right?