We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 26 June 2 Trip report

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
462 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
May 26 June 2 Trip report

Drove out from Indiana to visit friends and family in Colorado. First stop in Evergreen to stay with some friends. Grilled out that night for dinner. Next morning had breakfast in Kitteridge at countryroad cafe arrived when they opened. They did not give us very good service and the food was not very good. Spent some time in downtown Evergreen and had lunch at Beau Jo's. One of our favorites. Watched Indy 500 and had the buffett. My wife had the gluten free salad. Drove to Colorado Springs for more time to visit with other friends. Stayed at Hyatt Place Garden of the Gods. First night dined at Ted's Montana Grill. Awesome experience. Incredible bison steak and burger and service. Drove through Garden of the Gods at sunset.. Next day drove through Garden of the Gods and met our friends to visit Manitou Springs. Had an incredible lunch at Coquette's. A 100% gluten free place specializing in crepes. Had the philly, cajun and strawberry and creme. Loved this place. Discovered the penny arcade. What a gem. skeeball and pinball and video games from the 80's. Our family had a blast. Then grilled out with our friends at their house. Drove through Garden of the Gods again at sunset. Next day on our own. Visited a less crowded Manitou Springs. Previois day was Memorial day. Wanted to dine at Coquette's but they are closed on Tuesday. So had lunch at The Cliff house. Service was average but the food was excellent. Forgot the day before visited Glen Eyrie Castle. Nice time on self guieded tour. Educational and enjoyable. Drove through Garden of the Gods again. Met our friends again for dinner at The Stagecoach. Gluten free steak and the food and service were spot on. Drove through Garden of the Gods again. Next day back to Manitou Springs for lunch at Coquette's and the penny arcade. Drove up to Woodland Park and the Dinosaur Resource Center... Arrived when a tour was starting. It was so informative and educational. Love the exhibits and displays. Check this out if you like dinosaurs. Then up through the National forest to Evergreen to spend more time with our friends. Had dinner at Whipple Tree. One of our favorite places. Next day drove to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Loved the town of Estes Park. Such beautiful views on Trail Ridge road. Did not see much wildlife but saw a lot of snow still above the tree line. Also had breakfast at The Stanley. Great food and service. Such a fascinating place. Drove back through Fraser and Winter Park after RMNP had enough of mountain driving but it sure is beautiful. Had dinner with our friends at El Rancho. Awesome service and food. Has become one of our favorites in Evergreen. Drove Colorado 103 Squaw Pass road to Echo mountain overlooks for beautiful photos. Stopped in Idaho Springs for a snack at Two Brothers. Next day met my cousin in Denver. Had breakfast at Jelly Cafe. It is in Capitol Hill area by downtown. It was crowded and the service was not so good but the food was. Then off to Boulder. Stopped at a park to view the Flat irons and photos. Up the mountain to the overlook for more photos. Stopped at Flagstaff House. My cousin had rehearsal dinner there years ago. Amazing place. A reason why it is rated #1 restaurant in Boulder. Then to Pearl Street. Great open air shopping and dining. Drove back to Denver for late lunch at Racine's in Denver. Great service and gluten free dining. Then took kids to pool while visiting another cousin in Littleton for dinner. Grilled out at her house. Next morning stared the drive back home. Stopped in Kansas City that night . Drove home to Indy the next day. Beautiful weather the whole week. Had an incredible time visiting friends and family. Can't wait to go back.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: May 26 June 2 Trip report

Great trip. My stomach is full just reading all the great places you ate at.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 26 June 2 Trip report

Fun stuff, thanks for sharing. Guess I'll have to try Coquette's.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
153 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 26 June 2 Trip report

Thank you. I am glad you mentioned Dinosaur Resource Center in Woodland Park. It is often overlooked, but in my opinion it is one of the best dinosaur museums in the country. Though, you gotta take a tour there.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 26 June 2 Trip report

Thanks for the great report! I will flag it on the general Colorado forum as a top question since you've included several locations, because we are seeing more requests for gluten free dining.

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
462 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 26 June 2 Trip report

Actually it was Miramount Castle , not Glen Eyrie. My mistake.

Gary, Indiana
Level Contributor
882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 26 June 2 Trip report

Glad you enjoyed it. You made it in time. Lots of fires now. One in the Springs and one near Rocky Mtn Natl Park, too. Not to mention a lot of other bigger fires.

7. Re: May 26 June 2 Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, June 26, 2013