We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Denver, Boulder and Colorado springs?

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Denver, Boulder and Colorado springs?

We will arrive in Denver July 24 and travel to RMNP. I'd like to stay there for 3 or 4 nights. What motel/hotels would you reccomend ? We have a budget of around $100 per night. Then we would like to stay in Denver and see the sights for one day in Denver, Boulder and Colorado Springs. Any suggestions? We have a 5 year old and a 7 year old who are up for pretty much anything. In Denver I would like to make reservations to see the Denver mint. Also, any suggestions on accomodations in Denver?

Thanks

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Denver, Boulder and Colorado springs?

There are plenty of great lodging options in Estes Park. I like the Lodge at Lake Estes when traveling with my kids. They have an indoor pool, a game room, and a playground. Plus the rooms are spacious, and it should come within your budget.

Most of the major chain hotels are represented in downtown Denver, although be aware that parking can be quite high downtown - so expect to add on an average of about $20-$25 a night to the room rate you find to cover parking.

You may want to look in to the hotels in the area known as the Denver Tech Center. Again, all the major chains are represented, but being out of downtown the rates are a bit more affordable. From there, you can make day trips to Boulder and Colorado Springs. Also, the light rail system can take you from the Tech Center to downtown if you want to avoid driving and parking.

In that area, I've stayed at the Drury Inn, the Hyatt Denver Tech Center, and the Doubletree. If you're on a budget, Drury might be the way to go since they include breakfast and a light "snack" in the evening, which for my kids is plenty for dinner.

In the Springs, check out PIkes Peak, Garden of the Gods, and Helen Hunt Falls. If there are more specific things you're considering, give us a shout, we're happy to help.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
356 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Denver, Boulder and Colorado springs?

I did a Colorado trip with my 2 boys (10 & 13) during that same week last year! They loved it.

While in Colorado Springs, we enjoyed the Air Force Academy, Cave of the Winds, Pike's Peak Cog Railway, Garden of the Gods, and the US Olympic Complex. There are many chain hotels in CS at affordable prices, although I would not recommend the Mircotel we stayed at. It was a bit musty and dated.

During our few days in Denver we lucked into a Colorado Rockies home game, so I took the boys to a baseball game. They really enjoyed the experience.

We rented a nice little cabin near Estes Park. I found it on vrbo.com, which is a great vacation rental website, if you have any desire to go the cabin rental route. The cabin we rented was called Little Brown Cabin and I highly recommend it. The owners were wonderful. We spent all 3 of our days in RMNP exploring Trail Ridge Road, and doing a few of the lighter trails around Bear Lake and Sprague Lake. Downtown Estes is neat to for an evening stroll.

Enjoy your trip!! We fell in love with Colorado and can't wait to go back. Your kiddos will love it.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Denver, Boulder and Colorado springs?

I too recommend Drury Inn Pikes Peak for CO Springs...also Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo/Will Rogers Shrine to the Sun, Pike's Peak Cog Railway, Garden of the Gods--for starters.

www.cograilway.com

www.cmzoo.org

http://www.gardenofgods.com/home/index.cfm

Flying W Ranch for a great Chuckwagon, they have a "town" to peruse, good food and great backdrop (also wonderful entertainment)

www.flyingw.com

Near Denver there's Tinytown:

http://tinytownrailroad.com/

Edited: 12:16 pm, March 23, 2012
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Denver, Boulder and Colorado springs?

Jmia, you need to post your Estes Park lodging question on the Estes Park or Rocky Mountain National Park forum. People who can best answer that question are more likely to see it there and not here on the Colorado Springs forum. Peak season lodging in Estes Park at $100 a night is tough to find. Post your question on that forum and I and others will help you.

Law_girl, the Lakeshore Lodge is now the Estes Park Resort and the cheapest rooms for that time of year with a AAA discount are about $125. That (as you know) is still inexpensive for Estes Park in peak season.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Denver, Boulder and Colorado springs?

Some other great suggestions:

Michael Garman's Magic Town, Manitou Cliff Dwellings and the Colorado Wolf & Wildlife Center is fantastic!

6. Re: What to do in Denver, Boulder and Colorado springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:40 am, June 20, 2013