We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on a day trip.

Forney Tx
Level Contributor
38 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on a day trip.

We are going to colorado springs first visit. We would like to know how far to got to Estes Park? Would it be possible to make a day trip leaving Colorado Springs and going to RMNP? We are going in June with our teenage daughters. Also are there any neat restaurants in Colo Springs with live music my daughters could go to they are 16 and 17. Thanks so much any suggestions would be appreciated so excited to see your beautiful Colorado we are coming from Texas.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Texas
Texas
United States
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on a day trip.

IMO it's too far for a day trip. Not that it can't be done, but it's a lot of driving and not enough time to spend in the park. Just getting there will take more than 2.5 hours.

There's plenty for you to see and do in Colorado Springs and the surrounding area. If you look at the top right of the page under "More about Colorado Springs" you will find more info to help you with your planning.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 4:23 pm, March 17, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,092 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on a day trip.

And 2.5 hours is optimistic IMO, considering that you have to go through Denver and the metro area, where you're likely to run into heavy traffic. It would be much better to do it as an overnight trip.

If you want to get out of the city and into the mountains, which I always encourage visitors to do, then Buena Vista is a nice drive and a little shorter distance (about 95 miles) and the girls would probably enjoy a visit to Mt. Princeton Hot Springs, St. Elmo ghost town, a hike to Agnes Vaille Falls, and a drive up Cottonwood Pass.

Of course you've also got Mueller State Park and the Florissant Fossil Beds close by, too.

In addition to the Top Questions, you may want to scan through the Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs forums. Plus, you may not be familiar with the search feature. There are two places on each forum page--above and below the posts, where you can enter a topic and find lots of previous information. You might try "live music" or "restaurants with live music," but I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.

One really neat place for live music would be the mountaintop concerts reached by the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad. I don't know how much time you have, but it would be a fun experience. You could board the train at La Veta, so I was thinking it might be a possibility on your way to Colorado Springs or even on your way home. The summer schedule isn't out yet but in the past they've had the concerts most Fridays-Sundays. www.riograndescenicrailroad.com/tickets.html

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Mount Princeton Hot...
1,803 Reviews
Nathrop, CO
St. Elmo
St. Elmo
341 Reviews
Nathrop, CO
Cottonwood Pass
Cottonwood Pass
85 Reviews
Colorado
Mueller State Park
Mueller State Park
216 Reviews
Divide, CO
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
Forney Tx
Level Contributor
38 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on a day trip.

Thank you so much for the information. I saw online about the flying w chuckwagon dinner and show does anyone know if thats fun and worth going to? I think my girls might like it. All the info is so apprciated and welcomed since we have never been to Colorado. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,092 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on a day trip.

I haven't been to the Flying W in Colorado Springs but have been to similar chuckwagon dinner/shows and I think they are a lot of fun. The food at the ones I've been to has been okay, but like most buffets, nothing to wrtie home about. There are many reviews, which you can find in the left hand column under "things to do." Reviews are generally good, from "we loved it and the food was delicious" to "hokey and the food was inedible." I'd go if it were my trip.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on a day trip.

We went a couple of summers ago to Flying W with a group (family reunion) and it was a lot of fun. The food in my opinion was pretty good. They had an option to upgrade to a steak

. A couple of other options are Jack Quinn's downtown ( although it's a bar it is family friendly). The food is excellent and priced very reasonable. They have live music on Sun. @ 3:00, and a few nights during the week. Just check their schedule online.

Another one of our favorites is Front Range Bar-b-q in Old Colorado City. There's a little outdoor area where the band plays. Again, really good food.

Edited: 9:04 pm, March 17, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on a day trip.

Jack Quinn's is a fun place for live music with kids. Springs Orleans also does live music. It's more of a restaurant, but has good food and atmosphere.

A fun activity that your kids might enjoy is the Royal Gorge Route Railway. Going down to the Royal Gorge would give you a scenic Colorado experience, and the lunch train is a lovely way to spend a few hours.

Mentioned in this post
Springs Orleans
Springs Orleans
431 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Forney Tx
Level Contributor
38 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on a day trip.

Thank you for all the suggestions!!

Forney Tx
Level Contributor
38 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on a day trip.

Our hotel is in Pueblo and we will drive to Colorado Springs my husband travels alot and gets free rooms for La Quinta so we are staying at the one in Pueblo. So far we know we want to see Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge Bridge, Pikes Peak, We will be there from Monday to Friday. I think we will do the flying W sounds fun. We would love to see the mountains and the views as we live in Texas and its so flat. Haha. I would really love to go to Estes Park but just doesnt seem like we will have enough time. Any other places you think we should not miss please let us know. Thank you all for all your hospitality.

Mentioned in this post
Pueblo
Pueblo
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,655 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,510 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Texas
Texas
United States
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,092 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on a day trip.

Oh, if you're going to be in Pueblo, you'll just be a little over an hour to LaVeta, where you can take the train to the mountain concert!

Darn, no chance you can stay at the LaQuinta in Colorado Springs? It would make it much more convenient for most of the things you want to do.

Mentioned in this post
Pueblo
Pueblo
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Forney Tx
Level Contributor
38 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on a day trip.

We wanted.to but looked on trip advisor the ratings were much better.for the one in Pueblo.

Mentioned in this post
Pueblo
Pueblo
Colorado