We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

M F
Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

I have a 10:30 a.m. flight out of Denver on a Monday morning after spending the weekend in Colorado Springs. I heard traffic is heavy. About how long would it take me to drive and via which route? Can't wait for my trip--Thanks very much!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

Map quest says: Mind, you this is from random spot in CS so don't take it on faith it is correct.

I-25 N to E-470 N ~~ 1 hour 22 mins / 85.12 miles ~ I believe E-470 is a toll road.

I-25 N to I-225 N ~~ 1 hour 24 mins / 83.30 miles

CO-83 N ~~ 1 hour 38 mins / 81.92 miles

From my perspective... that bit of I-25 is all kind of dangerous, mostly cause so many people live on one end or the other and drive it daily, they know the road and goodness me they drive as if they do.

If your flight is at 10:30..ya gotta be there 2 hours early, do you have a rental car you have to turn in, figure another 30 minutes plus the drive time above on a good day with average traffic and no accidents.

Hmm if it were me I would leave the Springs no later than 6am. But I have an allergy to late, and I have never done this route.

Anyone have any better info?

Edited: 9:52 pm, October 22, 2011
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

I live in the Denver area, so don't have to make your run (unless returning from a leisure weekend in COS). So I tend to support Nomadic's suggestions (and wonder if it might be useful to print those Mapquest itineraries so that you can switch mid-way if radio or smartphone traffic reports warn you about one of those options).

If you have a rental car, watch out for E-470. They will scan your car's license tag, send a (hefty) toll fee to the rental car company, which will take it from your credit card and surprise you. You have essentially no alternative to that form of payment as a visitor. (But you should have less traffic..) Nomadic's option 2 via I-225 might be better if you leave early.

I'm a late person, so groan at the following suggestion. But if you can be an early person on D(eparture) Day, perhaps it's best to (1) check in online if you can, during the 24 hours before flight time. Even if you can't print the ticket, this gives you a better chance at a seat. (2) leave a bit early, to beat more of the morning rush, (3) have breakfast near, or at, the airport, and (4) have a clam roll at Ritcey's Seafood Kitchen in Waltham for all of us in Colorado when you get back to BOS!

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

I would leave at 6, my husband would leave at 7. So shoot for 6:30 :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

I would leave no later than 6AM and plan to take I-225. The last part of your trip will be on Pena Blvd as you leave I-70 and head north toward the airport. Pena Blvd is very heavily patrolled by traffic cops (as has been noted on other TA postings); even if you are running late, do not drive over the speed limit here.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,182 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

i concur with mountainstream .. leaving early should keep you out of the thickest rush hour. this drive has taken me anywhere from 70 minutes to over 4 hours before (3 hours of which spent on pena)

6. Re: Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 pm, November 28, 2011
Aurora, Colorado
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

Actually, people with rental cars can go online to www.expresstoll.com and pay for their tolls ahead of time by using the toll calculator if you know the vehicle's license plate. It's important to note that E-470 will charge the owner of the vehicle for the tolls if this is not done and depending on the rental agency, the additional charges could be more than you're willing to pay. expresstoll.com/HowE-470Works/Pages/Rental-C…

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

Check http://www.coloradoshuttle.com/. This shuttle runs from various stops in Colorado Springs right to the airport. This way, you could drop off your car in COS. Our neighbors have taken the shuttle several times. No complaints. Not sure what ther schedule is now.

You don't tell us when (season) you are trevalleing. There is always Palmer Divide, which can be a bear in the winter, on I-25 after an overnight snowfall. . The shuttle knows its way around it.

M F
Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

Wow, thank you--all great info. I very much appreciate it, thank you!

10. Re: Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver morning rush-hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, October 27, 2012