We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

DES MOINES
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

Hi, could use some help. Have only been to Denver. Would like to drive from Iowa to Colorado and stay maybe a week. Don't want a really long drive so wondering if anyone could suggest a good place to see some great scenery and stay planted and drive from that spot around. Don't know if Breckenridge or Aspen, or Vail, or what would be a good place to enjoy a nice fall week. Thanks for any help.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

Colorado Springs is right in the middle of Colorado State and close to the mountains. Also you will find tons of things to see and places to go to within one hours radius.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,190 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

Colorado Springs is a city, not my idea of a Colorado mountain trip, just my opinion. Also look at Salida or Buena Vista for small town mountain areas with plenty to do and see nearby.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

Yes, Casa Azul we do have mountains here, it's a beautiful city. Just sat up on top of Kissing Camels this morning thinking what a wonderful place that we live in. Check out :

www.discover-colorado-springs.com/ and www.tfocc.org/

Have fun planning!

Edited: 11:54 am, August 06, 2011
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

Colorado Springs is a great base and place to visit. You'll find lots within an hour or so's drive to enjoy. I think it would be a great choice.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

You might want to repost this just under Colorado instead of under CO Springs because people will asume you have already chosen this city as your destination. CO Spgs. does have much to offer but it is on the edge of the mountains, what we here call a Front Range city and is not in the mountains as is Breckenridge, Vail and Aspen. You might find the CO state tourism website helpful - http://www.colorado.com/

There is also a great resource on the top right of the CO forum page under the Top Questions About CO - What to Do in CO. Hope that helps. And welcome to TripAdvisor.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

Just to put things in objective terms:

Population of Colorado Springs: 420,000 people

Popoulation of Breckenridge: 5000 people

Population of Summit County: 22,000 (that is the county that Breckenridge is in)...

So, if you like a city with a mountain view, then Colo Spgs will fit the bill. If you want to be in the mtns themselves with aspen trees turning yellow, you might want to be in Breck.

Vail Valley is very pretty for Aspen Viewing. So is Guanella pass so Georgetown might be fun...

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
78 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

I have lived in Colorado my entire life and Ouray, CO is my favorite mountain town in the entire state (possibly in the US). It is known as "Little Switzerland of North America" and is the picture-perfect mountain town I think you are wanting to experience. Telluride is a short drive (1 hour or so) with lots of upscale shops, etc. But if you want scenic, fall colors, beautiful drives, quaint shops and cafes, hiking, waterfalls, all with a non-touristy experience with loads of things to do then go to Ouray!

Here is the website: http://www.ouraycolorado.com/

I would also recommend staying in the Black Bear Inn B&B or the China Clipper B&B.

Enjoy!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,379 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

I love Ouray, too, but MikeDesMoines is driving into the state from the east and Ouray would add several hours to his drive. I'd go with Breckenridge/Summit County then do some day trips, and on the way home instead of retracing steps to Denver, make a loop to Colorado Springs and head east/NE from there.

9. Re: Where to stay in Colorado in mid september.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 08, 2012