We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in early August

Bentonville...
2 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in early August

We are headed to Colorado Springs the 2nd week in August. All of our friends advised us that we would love the area, but we have no idea what we are doing, and any or all advice would be more than welcome. :)

What would be great for us to do, keeping in mind that it's just the 2 of us, and we'll be on our honeymoon? thank you so much!

-Cameron

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in early August

I think of Colorado Springs as more of a family destination. Unless your staying at the Broadmoor? What are your expectations? What do you like to do?

Bentonville...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in early August

We are at the Cheyenne Mountain Resort. We would like to do some outdoor activities. Hopefully some rafting, and it looks like the bike ride down Pike's Peak is fun from what I've read here at TripAdvisor, so we'll definitely do that.

We're flying into Denver and we'll stay 4 nights in Colorado Springs, 5th night back in Denver before we fly out the next morning.

I agree it does look like the attractions are much more family based, I'm not sure why we got so many recommendations for this on a honeymoon, but we are going so I am trying to pull a solid romantic trip out of what might be a family spot. :) Any tips on things that would be nice just the 2 of us, or things to do in Denver?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in early August

I definitely think of Colorado Springs as not just family oriented.

Do a Sunday brunch at the Broadmoor and splurge, It was featured on the travel channel and looks scrumptious, a real treat.

Garden of the Gods is a romantic wonderful and memorable location. Enjoy hiking around Seven Falls www.sevenfalls.com . It's a charming location combined with physical and you can explore the trails further. Also it's lit up at night which some like or also check out Helen Hunt Falls. We enjoyed passing through nearby Woodland Park, a beautiful mountain town and explore Florissant Fossil Beds a bit further out. Head to Canon City for the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park--the incline railway is unique, the tram is fun and it's great. Or take a romantic Royal Gorge Train ride or go rafting below....Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo is a fun stop, it's a smaller zoo, most memorable are the views and feeding the giraffes and most importantly free admission to drive up to see Will Roger's Shrine to the Sun--well worthwhile. Enjoy Manitou Springs and drive up to Cave of the Winds if for nothing more than the view, it's just a pretty spot. As for Denver check out Red Rocks. Honeymooning is not about the location but even if it was I don't think you'll be disappointed by the Colorado Springs area.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in early August

Just to give you an idea of what I think of Colorado Springs for a honeymoon...

We now live here, but came to Colorado for the first time ever on our honeymoon 25 years ago. We spent almost 2 weeks in the state going to several different places. When we got to Colorado Springs we looked around and decided not to even spend the night. One afternoon was plenty enough time for us. As Alli said, it's more of a "family attraction" type of place. Also, it's not really IN the mountains and we wanted to be in the mountains and not just look at them from down on the Front Range. Colorado Springs is a big city with attractions, and we wanted to be in the Colorado mountains --- not a city.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in early August

You'll love it here, Cheyenne Mt. Resort is a lovely accommodation. You will have plenty to do here. This is a huge vacation destination (with good reason)!

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in early August

Cheyenne Mountain Resort is a great property with beautiful views. They've got a nice lounge, and it puts you easily accessible to other locations. If you are interested in rafting, that would definitely be fun.

The suggestion for Sunday brunch at the Broadmoor is a great one - excellent food and some romance factor. I'd also suggest Garden of the Gods and some time in Manitou Springs.

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in early August

Thought of something else....

The Royal Gorge Route Railway is lovely and romantic. They do dinner trains, wine trains, things like that.... I've done the train several times, and really enjoyed it. In my opinion, it is worth paying to upgrade out of the coach class to Vista Dome or one of the specialty trains (lunch, etc...).

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in early August

Where are you staying in Denver? There are a number of boutique type hotels that would make for a very nice stay.

I think Larimer is very romantic, especially at night with the lights and all, though the patio at Bistro Vendome for a Sunday brunch is pretty romantic too.

Edited: 5:05 pm, July 27, 2011
colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in early August

I'm sure you're combing past posts for things to do, just thought I'd add:

You can horseback road through Garden of the Gods, across the way is Red Rocks Canyon (great hiking).

The Broadmoor has horseback riding in the mountains as well (yes we do have mountains in Colorado Springs)

In Manitou, cog railway, Penny Arcade (930 Manitou), lunch at Hell's Kitchen

or Wines of Colorado

Walk around unique shops in Old Colorado City (farmer's mkt. on Sat)

many restaurants on Colorado Blvd (Ave) ?

Drive through N. Cheyenne Canyon, hikes behind Starsmore Discovery Center drive up to Helen Hunt Falls, if you follow the road further up, you get great views of the city and go through a couple of old tunnels

Downtown - worth lunch stop or evening dining destination. Your concierge will be able to guide you. We like Nosh, Phantom Canyon, and the Irish pub on Tejon. For breakfast, you can't beat King Chef! Order the Huevos Rancheros (enough for 2 people).

On Aug. 19th there is a Stargazing event at Cheyenne Mt. Zoo

Hikes - Garden of the Gods, Red Rocks, N. Cheyenne canyon, Palmer Park, walk around Memorial Park (nice views of Pikes Peak.

Also, since you are close to the Broadmoor, in the evening no better way to take in the views. Your hotel will be hard to break away from as well, take advantage of all their amenities.

Edited: 9:05 pm, July 27, 2011
10. Re: Honeymoon in early August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 08, 2012