We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking - Pikes Peak Question

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Biking - Pikes Peak Question

Hi: Our family is visiting CoS in July. (50 yr old parents, 20 and 18 year old son and 10 yr old daughter). Thinking of doing the cog railway to Pikes Peak and then the bike trip down. How hard is this for a 10 year old? And a somewhat out of shape 50 year old? Danger level?

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking - Pikes Peak Question

10 yr. old on a bike, that's funny.

I think I'd worry about myself and hubby before my kid.

You're going downhill, tons of people do this every year. They are not going to let you die. It will be a scream (literally). You'll get to pull over and a take in the views and it will be a trip you will remember for a long time. Go for it!!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking - Pikes Peak Question

If you already have done it, I'd like to know how was it.

If not, then I'd say "no" to 10 y.o. He or she should be very calm and confident, because the tinyest fear or shake can provoke panic.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking - Pikes Peak Question

My family (two boys 16 & 14, and wife) took the cog train up to the top of Pikes Peak and rode bikes down. We went through Pikes Peak Bike Tours. The train ride to the top was enjoyable. Biking down was very safe. The tour group had a van in front of us as well as behind spaces out about 1/4 mile giving us plenty of room. There was only on small/short uphill. The tour group provided us with snacks and a great lunch at a Greek restaurant. We met at the store at 7:00 am and returned about 1:30. I recommend doing this.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking - Pikes Peak Question

COOL...I'm guessing the restaurant was Jake & Telly's. I love their outdoor balcony and can also recommend for Happy Hour.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
168 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking - Pikes Peak Question

It will be no problem for anyone in your group. There are only a couple of places where you have to pedal uphill. The rest is exhilirating downhill fun, especially now that the road is paved the entire way. The support van that brings the bikes to the summit will follow you down to protect you from traffic. All you have to worry about are saddle sores. Check out the reviews here on TripAdvisor. It's definitely a great adventure.

There are two "Cog & Bike" companies that I know of . Pikes Peak Bike Tours stops at Jake & Telly's and the Challenge Unlimited stops at Wines of Colorado. You can't go wrong with either place and I've heard nothing but great things about both companies.

Edited: 4:25 pm, August 13, 2012
6. Re: Biking - Pikes Peak Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 20, 2013