We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

Hi,

I'll be visiting Colorado Springs in the first week of May. I don't drive and will rely on public transportation or tour operators to explore the area around CS. I would appreciate your advice on what is possible / accessible. Thanks.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

We do have a metro bus system at www.springsgov.com/transit and you could supplement that with taking taxi's. There are a few hotels that have a shuttle from the airport, just google the Colorado Springs Airport. On the left hand column click on transportation. My recommendation for hotels closer to the metro would be around the World Arena area (such as the Double Tree) or downtown (The Antler's Hilton). Maybe prefer the downtown area so you could just walk to restaurants. Just let us know what your price range is. I am not knowledgeable about tour operators in the area. Maybe someone else will jump in here.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

Just had another thought, and if your budget allows it, I know The Broadmoor hotel has several excursions in the summer. You just sign up with the concierge for the ones you want to do. For a fee, you'll have door to door service. The Metro goes right by there as well. The Broadmoor is about 8 min. from downtown. Cheyenne Mt. Resort probably has the same service available, but I'm not sure the Metro stops there.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

Here's the local tour operator for you - Colorado Springs Tour Guide,

www.costourguide.com

They do private tours and transportation in Central Colorado. They also will give a better deal if you sign up for 2+ days.

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,272 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

I fully agree with Springschick. Downtown will give you the freedom to do some walking with easy access to the central bus station. If you can afford the Broadmoor, they coordinate tours from there, and in addition you have a bus station right at the hotel.

New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

Thank you for your suggestions.

I looked into Boardmoor however I am concerned that Metro doesn't run after 7p in the evenings and the weekend. Will be checking out downtown hotels. I still feel confused about what is where in CS.

I suppose there is a metro stop close to the entrance of the garden of the Gods and the station for the cog train to Pikes Peak?

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

Route 3 will get you to Manitou Springs, but it won't cont. up the road to the cog, so you'd have to walk uphill about 1/2 mile or so. The bus route goes to Garden of the Gods road, however, it does not go to Garden of the Gods. The main bus stop is on Nevada (downtown).

The city cut back on the later routes a couple of years ago when raising taxes did not pass. So I'm afraid you're back to the taxi route or the Broadmoor. In general buses generally don't go to the tourist attractions other than Manitou Springs. Sorry it is so inconvenient, but that's the way it is.

Maybe if you'd let us know the attractions you'd like to see, then we can recommend an area where you could stay, so the taxi service wouldn't be as much.

New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

Thank you very much for this info, Springschick!

While in CS, I am planning to explore the Garden of the Gods and go up to Pikes Peak. As it appears that I may mostly be using taxi for these, I suppose it doesn't matter much where I'm staying. However, I would really like to stay in a nice area close to shops and restaurants and not on highways as I won't have a car.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

Then I would recommend staying downtown, in which there is a shortage of Hotels (look at the Antler's Hilton Hotel), OR closer to the Garden of the Gods and the Cog is Manitou Springs. Many options here if you'll state your budget. It's still only a 10-15 min. drive to downtown and a 5 min. drive to Old Colorado City. Manitou is an old, funky, low key, happenin' kind of place in the summer. Started up from it's natural springs.

Downtown would offer more restaurants, not quite as much uniqueness as Manitou Springs, but still quite active in the evenings.

Edited: 5:59 pm, March 25, 2011
New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

Thanks for all the help. Just booked a room at the Antler Hilton. Is it a walkable distance to the Old Colorado Springs?

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Around Colorado Springs with public transportation

I think you'll be happy with Antler's.

The main part of Old Colorado City starts about Colorado Ave. and say 22nd St. So it will be about a 2 mile jaunt one way. Be sure to pop your head into Michael Garman's gallery around 24th St. You'll get a chuckle out of his sculptures. There's a great New York scene, too funny!