We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info. on Colorado

Houston, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Info. on Colorado

Hi,

I realize this sounds like the most ignorant question, but is there anywhere in the state of Colorado that it does not snow very much in the winter? I fell in love with Colorado many years ago, and want to return so badly. However, it's too nervewrecking for me to drive through all that snow every winter, hence the question. Hope someone can help- Thank you : )

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info. on Colorado

No area of Colorado is immune from snow, but then again, we probably get less snow than many people imagine, at least on the Front Range (the east side of Rockies). The further south and east in the state, the hotter and drier the weather. But of course, do you want to live in a very rural agricultural area, far away from the mountains?

Denver boasts over 300 days of sun per year, more than San Diego! Snow does not cover the ground but for a total of few weeks per winter, normally. When it snows, the sun usually comes out by the next day, melting the worst of it. Nevertheless, we sometimes do get whopping blizzards such as the doozy in '03 - three feet over two days and no one left their homes for almost a week. Sure, there have been horrible snow day rush hours in which I've inched along for hours, but that's not a such a regular event that I regret moving here!

I would estimate that we would hardly get a dozen days a year that I'd consider to have less than optimal driving condition. The plows get on the major streets right away and the sun melts the rest. Generally, the streets are dry throughout most of the winter. That's an advantage to living in an urban area - rural and mountain areas can have snow on the ground all winter, but then again, they're a lot colder than the Front Range.

If you want to live here, but haven't been here in the winter, I'd suggest you visit various areas to see what it's like. I think you would find that driving won't be a nerve-wracking as you think!

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
665 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info. on Colorado

As Shaken_Bake said, as you move further south, and/or to lower elevations, there is generally less snow.

For example, Denver gets an average of 60 inches of snow total per year. Pueblo (further south, and a bit lower in elevation) gets around 30 inches. As explained, the snows in these lower elevations can be widely spaced over a period from perhaps November through April or May. We may see a month or longer at a time with no snow on the ground, then get a few inches, only to see that melted off in a day or two.

The towns along the Western Slope (the west side of the state) at lower elevations (4500 - 6000') also get only modest amounts of snow.

The amounts of snow that fall in the higher mountains has little to do with the amounts of snow on the plains and Western Slope.