We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Colorado Springs?

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
How many days in Colorado Springs?

How many days do we need to do the following without killing ourselves:

Pike's Peak Cog Railway

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

Garden of the Gods

Cave of the Winds

Seven Falls

Flying W Guest Ranch

Is the North Pole cheesy or worth taking our 8-year old to?

Also, what area is better to stay in, Manitou Springs or Colorado Springs?

Grand Island...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in Colorado Springs?

I think you will need at least 3 full days. The Cog Railway takes half a day, and you could follow that with the cave or falls. The Cheyenne Mt. Zoo is another good half day which could be followed by the cave or falls again. On the third day, start with Garden of the Gods; if you're up to it, add in the North Pole or Olympic Training Center, or the Air Force Academy Chapel, or the "Castle" in Manitou Springs. Spend that evening at the Flying W. We never like to go to more than one "major" attraction in a day to keep from burning out. The Cog Railway and the Zoo are both what I would consider "major" attractions. Neither would take all day, but each would be a good chunk of time.

Yes, the North Pole is kind of cheesy, but what is too cheesy? I went there as a youngster and it's one of my best memories from the trip. I haven't been back in over 30 years, so don't know how much it's changed!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in Colorado Springs?

Check the post "Enough to do...." There are a lot of things listed there that you may want to include.

New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in Colorado Springs?

Is the North Pole a full or half day?

Also, can you comment on accomodations or at least the best area to stay in? I already have a reservation at Embassy Suites on Commerce Center Drive, but have recently read some bad reviews, so I am cancelling and looking for other accomodations.

Appreciate any help.

Colorado
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in Colorado Springs?

In looking at the things on your list, I would say Manitou is the place to stay (although I would say Manitou is the better place anyway). It is located closer to the Cog, North Pole, Garden, Cave o the winds and is still just 15 minutes to Flying W and Cheyenne Mtn. Manitou has a lot of charm, character and history that you won't find in most of the Springs.

It's just a fun place to go versus where most of the big chain hotels are in the Springs.

New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in Colorado Springs?

Teleguy,

Can you recommend lodging in Manitou Springs? There are many B & B's, but the ones that have availability so far do not accept children.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in Colorado Springs?

The Colorado Springs area is a compact one; nothing is very far. From that standpoint, it doesn't really matter where you stay.

Colorado
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days in Colorado Springs?

I'm trying to think of names of places and I'm unable to do so. Manitou has a lot of motels (many are good, some are really quite nice) and B&B's (as you've found). Have you tried Twin Sisters B&B? They are great but I don't know about them and kids. Manitou folks are also really quick to help find something that will work, ask the B&B's you call for suggestions.

I'll be going through Manitou in the next few days and try to remember the names of the recently remodelled and nice "motels" in case no B&B's work. If I get it to you in a couple days is that soon enough?

New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days in Colorado Springs?

Yes, that will be fine. Thanks so much!

Colorado
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days in Colorado Springs?

Okay- Try Blue skies inn, Frontier's rest and Gray's Avenue Hotel for B&B's

For nicer, good motels- try Best Western "skyway", Castaways, and Villa Motel "Best Value Inn"

All three of those motels are recently remodeled and much nicer than most. I think they all have a pool and are close to downtown Manitou (as well as everything your coming here for).

Also the Cliffhouse (high dollar luxury hotel in Manitou) often runs specials if you want something a little special.

Illinois
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days in Colorado Springs?

thanks tel- we are going in July-------- 4 adults Please keep us informed of what the adults liked.