We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado Springs

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Colorado Springs

Hi,

If one drives down from Denver airport (DEN) in what order/ sequence would one visit Pikes Peak, Garden of Gods and Royal Gorge?

The reason I am asking the order one should visit these places in, is that my husband will be checking into a hotel downtown. So what would be a good sequence to follow to visit the above mentioned places and then drive to downtown.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado Springs

You hit Garden of the Gods first on I-25. Then Pike's Peak, then the Royal Gorge. The Royal Gorge is outside of Canon City, which is about an hour from the Springs. Garden of the Gods is fairly central, but he will have to drive a bit to get to Pike's Peak and to the Royal Gorge, so all 3 places are not right next to each other or anything. If he finishes with the Royal Gorge, then he will have another hour drive north back to Colorado Springs. So if he wants to cut down on the driving, he could get a hotel on the south side of the Springs instead of downtown. There are a lot of good hotels at Circle Dr./Lake and I-25, which is on the southern side of town.

Is he trying to do all of these in one day?? That is a pretty packed schedule....he can do it, but it won't leave him a lot of time to enjoy it!

hope this helps!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,357 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado Springs

I always hate to say skip a place, but I would have your husband visit Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak, with a visit to Manitou Springs. Canon City and Royal Gorge is at least a 3-4 hour detour.

Also, Airforce Academy, Cheyenne Mtn Zoo are fun places to visit.

We spent hours hiking around Garden of the God, with infants, small kids and big kids! Lots of fun!

Denver
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado Springs

I don't really think the Royal Gorge is a 4 hour detour. It's about 45-60 min drive and it's hard to spend longer than an hour there. He can see it in 20 mins if he wants. Plus, it is a pretty drive and a good way to see a different type of scenery and landscape in CO than what he will find in the Springs.

If he doesn't want to the make the drive, then the Air Force Academy, Cheyenne Mnt. Zoo, Seven Falls, Will Rogers Shrine and Cheyenne Canyon all make good places to see. I would do any of those over a trip to Manitou Springs, just my opinion!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado Springs

Thanks all! My husband had just enough time to do the Royal Gorge. He was glad that he did the drive coz he enjoyed the drive and the feel being around there. He still has not been able to make it to the Grand Canyon (I have) so he thought that if not the grand canyon atleast he got to see this. That's all that he could manage before reaching just in time for a meeting.

But he asked me to convey his thanks to all of you'll for your time and the suggestions.

5. Re: Colorado Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 13, 2009