We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pike's Peak

Which Colorado Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pike's Peak

Is there a charge to drive to the top of Pike's Peak? How long of a drive is it?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Pike's Peak

The maximum price per car would be $35. Is this amount of money so outrageous that you would not visit an entire state?

One usually spends more than that to go to the movies and eat popcorn and drink soft drinks, something you could do for almost free at home.

You don't have to drive the mountain to see the mountain.

Mt Evans is another 14er you can drive, there is a $10 fee for a vehicle with 12 or fewer people (unless you have the NPS America the Beautiful, or Golden Eagle, then it is free). This fee is good for 3 days.

Have fun visiting Colorado. There is so much to see and do.

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Pike's Peak

TongkatAli, it is unlikely that it will be free in the future as maintenance costs are rising - they are now keeping the road open year round (imagine plowing a road above 13,000 ft in the dead of winter after a 10 ft snow!).

However, there are still many (more impressive IMO) mountain vistas that you can really enjoy in COlorado - in fact, Ouray, which you mentioned, is in the heart of some of the most spectacular scenery Colorado has to offer. I agree, I certainly wouldn't let the cost of one toll road deter you from visiting the whole state. Colorado has many very impressive and very amazing sights to see. You could spend months here and only scratch the surface. I know - I've spent most of my life here and I'm still discovering new things!

23. Re: Pike's Peak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 06, 2009